Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 40 year old shed that was converted to a cottage with no permits or anything to code. I'm remodeling and repairing damage and have come across carpenter ant damage in a section of a structural beam on the bottom exterior wall. Short of taking the whole cottage apart piece by piece and rebuilding, any ideas of how to reinforce this beam? I have yet to take the siding off the the other three sides to see if there is any other damage. There is also no foundation and the beams are supported by shanty piers made of rock and wood. Sorry, I couldn't upload a photo, but it is basically a picture of a 6 x6 sill beam with carpenter ant damage (about 30%) with studs nailed directly to it instead of a sole plate.

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
If you're not familiar with sound principles of wood engineering (modulus of elasticity, bending moment, bending stresses, compressive stress, shearing stress, density of various species of wood, wind loads, seismic loads, live loads, dead loads, etc, etc, etc), or even sound building practices, the only prudent course of action would be to either hire someone that does understand these things and can implement a proper fix, or else you must replace everything that is suspect, or rather, has been compromised. Even doing the latter requires a certain know-how/skill level, which is best left in the hands of a competent professional.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,217 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.