Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
There's a new way of doing the surgery where they make a very small incission in the heel of your palm and somehow open the tunnel up by driving somekind of rod into it that spread it out. I saw an orthopedic surgeon advertising doing it that way on TV. Supposed to cut the down time down considerably.

·
windows & siding
846 Posts
I had it in both hands to the point where my hands would go numb from menial tasks and I'd wake up at night with horrible pain. First tried NSAIDS and braces (bowler style) but they didnt do jack. Then I got got the cortisone shots....AAHHHH... 99% better. That was a couple years ago and I might get a slight bit of numbness rarely when I really abuse them (like repeated painting or something). I'm glad I didn't need the surgery. My dr told me that it is not always effective, plus in many cases you dont completely regain your strength.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I have had Carpal Tunnel for years now and have learned to live with it but i have had pinched Ulnar Nerves in both of my elbows for about 10yrs now. The last few months have been the worst its ever been and it is downright painful. When i was first diagnosed for it the Docs said nothing could be done except resting my arms. I have never persued any meds or injections but right now i am beginning to wonder if i should. I drop things on a daily basis and alot of the time i cant pick anything up if it wieghs more than a pound or so.

This is some of the info on it- Nerve compression problems behind the elbow are called cubital tunnel syndrome. The ulnar nerve passes through the cubital tunnel which is a bony passageway. When you "hit your funny bone" and have tingling in the small and ring fingers, you are hitting the ulnar nerve at the cubital tunnel.

The tunnel has a bone passageway on both sides and the base. A ligament holds the nerve into the tunnel by crossing from one bone to the other. The ulnar nerve controls muscles used for gripping, primarily of the little, ring, and sometimes middle fingers. It also controls muscles in the hand used for strong pinch, and other muscles that coordinate fine movements. This includes most of the muscles in the hand except two muscles that lift the thumb up and out of your palm, turning the thumb into a better position for pinching. The ulnar nerve also receives feeling from the small and ring fingers from both the palm and backside of your hand.

Your complaints may result from either sensory or motor (muscle) nerve compression. For example, your symptoms may primarily involve numbness and tingling in the little and ring fingers, the side and back of the hand. These complaints occur or worsen when the elbow is bent, as when: 1) holding a telephone in the hand, 2) resting the head on the hand, 3) crossing the arms over the chest, 4) curling the arm under the body during the night.

Your hand may also become cold or numb when it is on top of a steering wheel. The other group of symptoms involves motor functions of the nerve. You may be aware that the hand has become weaker, resulting in trouble opening jars. You may drop things, or your hand may not perform quite as easily as it did before. For example, you may have difficulty coordinating your fingers while typing or playing the violin, guitar, or piano. The problems usually worsen with extended activities. Frequently there are both sensory and motor symptoms present. Often we do not know the cause of this problem.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Have any of you all had that test where they stick needles in your arms and neck then shoot an electical shock through you in order to measure your nerve conductivity?
They did that to me. I didn't have any conductivity until they raised the shock up enough that it was lifting me off the table. Fun experience.
Ended up not only needing the carpal but also had to get a disc removed and an infussion in my neck. I had major damage caused by all those falls and stresses on my arms and neck.

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Charles, those tests were required by my surgeon to gauge nerve damage prior to any surgery.

Wasn't too bad, but yeah they stick you with acupuncture-like needles connected to a die-hard battery :w00t: and see how much juice it takes to make you dance like james brown. :laughing:

Actually the tests weren't bad at all, just some tinglings :shifty: and very minor jolts, but not painful in any way.

And woodchuck, I've got the ulnar nerve thing going on too, but not nearly to the extent as the carpel tunnel (was).

As I mentioned above somewhere, I would definitely do the carpal tunnel surgeries again, as I'm very happy with the results.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Those tests were how they finally diagnosed my issues. I had to wait for approval from my insurance company and by the time they approved i changed my line of work and alot of the pain went away. It was certainly entertaining watching the fingers wiggle and your arm jumping around from the impulses.
The Carpal Tunnel for me isnt bad unless i am working where it requires hand tools in a confined space and then my hands will curl right up in a knot but that is only occasional. This elbow crap is from when i wake until i sleep and sometimes in the morning i cant even move my strong arm from the pain. I have found that relaxing the arm/hand from the elbow down and shaking it some will loosen it up so some of the pain goes away and then i can go about my day. The doctors in the past have told me there is nothing that can be done but i really dont believe that crap.

·
Los Angeles Remodeler
84 Posts
I had it in both hands to the point where my hands would go numb from menial tasks and I'd wake up at night with horrible pain. First tried NSAIDS and braces (bowler style) but they didnt do jack. Then I got got the cortisone shots....AAHHHH... 99% better. That was a couple years ago and I might get a slight bit of numbness rarely when I really abuse them (like repeated painting or something). I'm glad I didn't need the surgery. My dr told me that it is not always effective, plus in many cases you dont completely regain your strength.
What kind of shot did you get? Do you know the name of the actual cortizone medicine shot?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts