Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Pro
589 Posts
JF - I was wondering how you made out, did it work? I have carpal tunnel bad and need to have it taken care of. Did you get the other one done? How long for re-hab before you can go back to work? That has been my biggest worry.

Bill

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Bill,

I had my left hand done about 9-10 weeks ago iirc, and just had my right hand done this past Friday.

My left has healed up pretty well, but not as well as I had thought prior to getting my right hand done.

I guess I had been favoring my right hand a lot more lately (I'm left handed), so after the surg. on Friday when I could only use my left hand, I'm seeing it's got some more healing to do.

I'm able to do normal household stuff, but cutting the lawn makes it ache pretty good (I've got 2-3 hours each week with weed-eating, edging etc).

I haven't done any real "work" with it, like 8-10 hours worth of carpentry, but I'm guessing it might hurt quite a bit by the end of the day. Don't know if that would make it heal up any faster (working all day after 2-3 months) or hinder the healing.

They told me in the surg. center on fri to expect a 6-12 month time frame to be 100%....as it varies from person to person.

I'm figuring it will be January before I'll start hittin' it hard again...ramp up advertising at the end of the year or right after the holidays.

But recovery has been smooth both times, could get right on the computer the day of surgery...some pain-pills and ice and elevation throughout the first 2-3 days.

2 weeks of being in the wrap/splint from surg, then 2 weeks full time in a support, then slowly start mobilizing...

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...and yes, Bill, it stopped the numbness/tingling/electrical jolts :shutup: right after the surg. on each hand. :clap:

Here's a vid of the surg... just don't watch it the night before surgery :whistling

My scar is only about 1" at the bottom of my hand right above the wrist.

And no it's not a cadaver arm in the video, they cut off all blood supply to your arm during the procedure, which only lasts about 20-30 mins.

·
Pro
589 Posts
Thanks J,

It is nice to talk to someone in my line of work who had the surgery. I worried that I would get the surgery and wind up not feeling better or feeling worse even. I also have pain in my wrists and hands, and they fall asleep, did you have that? If so, I assume it went away after surgery as well.

Bill

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Man I know I'm gonna have to have this done one day. I ran some post hole diggers couple of days ago and I can feel it in every finger now.
Wish you a full recovery JF. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Man I know I'm gonna have to have this done one day. I ran some post hole diggers couple of days ago and I can feel it in every finger now.
Wish you a full recovery JF. :thumbsup:
Carpal Tunnel you will feel in your inside forearms, unless there is another version I don't know about?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
There's ulnar tunnel too, it affects part of your hands... Makes your pinky and ring fingers ache and go numb, and all along that side of your hands to your wrists. Got a touch of that myself.
How long have you felt that?

Mine started about two months ago.Kept hoping for the first two weeks it'd go away.Still here,but hasn't gotten any worse,no real loss of ability,just this tingling feeling.

I thought I read about some laser surgery in some cases,got to look into it!

·
Registered
238 Posts
How long have you felt that?

Mine started about two months ago.Kept hoping for the first two weeks it'd go away.Still here,but hasn't gotten any worse,no real loss of ability,just this tingling feeling.

I thought I read about some laser surgery in some cases,got to look into it!
4 or 5 years, comes and goes. It was real bad for a while, hurt like hell and it was hard to keep a tight grip on things, but not so bad these days. I'm only 31 though so I'm sure I'm in for more.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I've been battling this for five years now, it comes and goes and I treat it with RICE. This last time a new doc gave me Diclofenac (anti-inflammatory NSAID) and this time something actually WORKED!! YMMV

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
How about tendinitis (tennis elbow) comes right along with carpal.

Fun when they both wake you up in the middle of the night.
Thank you....both inside and outside of my elbows hurt....I mean certain simple tasks are excruciating. I thought I had the gout....

I did a little research....Tennis elbow is the outside, golfers elbow is the inside (that's where I have it worst?)....golfer's elbow is from gripping things too tightly/often. As soon as I feel better we frame and it starts all over again.

As far as I learned, cortizone shots, and/or 6 months rest will help....I haven't had cortizone, 6 mos. isn't possible... been slow at work but I broke up with my girlfriend a month ago and my elbows are killing me!:w00t:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
LOL,

I had tennis elbow, the outside one a couple of years ago, it took forever to get rid of it. Sucked big time. That one was painful. Finally got rid of it by wearing an arm band for almost 1 year off and on.

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys

The carpal tunnel affects the thumb, the first 2 fingers and half of the ring finger. Numbness, tingling, burning, falling asleep etc. If left untreated for too long, it can lead to degeneration/loss of muscles in the hand.

And yes, directly after surgery the symptoms were gone, due to the fact that the cause of the symptoms (compression of the medial nerve), is instantly relieved:

The incision on my hand is only about 1" long at the base of my hand (I'm guessing just over the ligament shown above. It's not nearly as invasive as the above picture, which I believe is the older method (or maybe just for illustration).

They also have endoscopic surgery available, but from doing research before my surgeries, I found that it's more prone to complications at this time.

Here's where I got the pics from, it's got some good info too:

https://www.google.com/health/ref/Carpal+tunnel+syndrome

And Mike, I do believe the healing is much quicker today, at least the incision part, due to the much smaller incision required, but regaining full strength will take some time.

The first thing the doctor will do, is set you up for a nerve test, where they zap you from your hand up to your shoulder in various places to test nerve responses that are run through a computer to get an idea of how far along your are in regards to nerve damage.

I was dreading it, but it was a peace of cake, just some very minor jolts, not bad at all.

All in all, I would definitely go through it again (at least up to this point), I'll have to see what I think in 6-12 months, but I'm pretty certain I'll feel the same.

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update a month later:

Have had good healing on the latest (right) hand. Still have pain at certain times, like holding a full coffee pot, yard work etc.

Left hand is doing very well, though not quite up to full speed, but can do most household tasks with little to no pain.

Left is still not up to working strength, but I will start to do more serious/difficult stuff with it now, while waiting on righty to get up to speed, probably somewhere between jan-march.

Would definitely do it again.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Guy i worked with 6+ years ago got the bright idea to have both his wrists done at same time to minimize his recovery time. Thank god he had a loving wife, said he couldnt wipe after a number 2 for the first week or so.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts