Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We finished this kitchen a few months ago, and I finally took pictures of it yesterday.

The original layout for the space included a wall between a front office and the kitchen, and a poorly functioning peninsula layout for the cabinetry. We removed the wall and installed a recessed beam, and enlarged the opening between the dining room and kitchen to create a much more open, generous space.

This allowed for a long island and elevated bar table, with enough space left over for a small, efficient home office area. Space was also taken from the garage for the angled TV wall and better traffic flow around the island. The refrigerator, wine nook, and pantry storage were located in a thin transition space to the kitchen, right off the laundry and garage entry. The cabinetry is KraftMaid cherry, and the counters are granite with an Oceanside multi-format glass mosaic backsplash tile. The renovation also included the installation of a clear maple hardwood floor throughout the main level of the house.

I was both designer and builder for this one.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Very nice!

I like how the floor makes the cabinetry really stand out. I also like how the outlets disappear within the backsplash. I've been trying to get my HOs on the backsplash I've been working on to go with black too.

Any concerns with splash having the cooktop in close proximity to the dining counter?

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The design of the island gave me huge fits with the layout of the space, transitions, wall corners, etc.

It's a downdraft with a powerful fan and a direct shot outside with only 1 elbow, and the rise to the table gives it a pretty decent splash area. They've used it for several months now without any issues.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ohhhhhh Carmel. That is where all the richer's live!!

That is a nice clean looking kitchen.

The table at the island bothers me though, I am not sure why, I think it just looks akward.
If it works for them, they are happy, and the check cleared; you should be happy as well!!
They love it--she sent me this email today:

"You have lots of great kitchen remodels on your site, but I like ours the best. You did a great job for us. Thank you."

:thumbsup:

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chris-as usual I am in awe of what you do!
It's not just me, I have a great team. The client was great to work for too, and that makes a HUGE difference.

I want my clients to be absolutely in love with what we build for them. There's no better feeling as a craftsman when you hit that mark.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
It's not just me, I have a great team. The client was great to work for too, and that makes a HUGE difference.

I want my clients to be absolutely in love with what we build for them. There's no better feeling as a craftsman when you hit that mark.

And humble too. Don't forget who assembled the team :laughing:

By most memorable moments are when the women cry over how much they love their new kitchens. It makes it all worth it!

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
That is a nice looking job right there. :thumbsup:

Don't you love it when they stage the place real nice for your photos?

Whats up with the bottles in the wine rack? You pull those out of your lunch box for the pic or what?:laughing:

Seems like the sink base is over sized for the sink. I could be off though.

The base cabinet under the "wine" rack would be better off if it was a couple inches less deep that the tall cabinets flanking it. Then the counter top can die directly into the side wall of the talls. The tall cabs can be deeper , Around 25 3/4", too. That way the base cab can have full depth drawer boxes. The fridge box is better off deeper too then the whole case of the fridge can be in hidden from view.

Great addition to their home and to your portfolio.:notworthy

Reactions: ChrWright

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
You're right Gus, that tiny wine bottle looks goofy... that's all the wine they had, lol. I should have brought a box of 2 buck chuck to fill up the cubes. :laughing:

Sink is a 33, in a 36" SB:

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn, makes my peninsula island support look ghey!

That is a really nice looking job Chris. Is that an insta hot next to the faucet?

What's the granite? It looks like Ubatuba or Verde Butterfly.
Thanks Kent.

That's the soap dispenser that came with the faucet.

Granite is Labrador Green... I think Uba Tuba is the same thing or in the same family..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts