Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I own about a dozen pairs of their pants that I'm too fat for. Honestly I always got about a year and a half out of them before the crotch wore right through and one layer would be worn through on the knees. They cost $70 a pair.

Now I but $10 costco jeans that last about a year.

So short answer...no not worth it.

Reactions: JackP23

·
Registered
746 Posts
I cannot wear there jeans the back pockets rip out on me. Have been buying key jeans that I like. I have a. Carheart vest I really like a a pair of bibs that are about 15 years old

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I always buy their dungaree fit canvas work pants.

My only complaint is I swear every pair fits a little bit different! Some pants are the same exact size as others I have but I can't even button the button and others are loose!

I like the fit when its right, so I will try on a couple and pick and choose.

Dave

·
Registered
190 Posts
I like the Jackets and vests. I used to wear the insulated bibs but i found some not made of cotton so they won't get soaked. I used to wear their pants all the time but they just didn't last very long. Now i wear pants with knee pads and polyester bond they last longer like way way longer and cost about the same.

But best toque with a brim i have ever had or seen was Carhartt.

·
Been around
1,165 Posts
Get a pair of their uninsulated brown duck overalls with the waste size 6-8 inches bigger than you would wear. So if you wear a 34 get a 40 or 42.

Then during the winter just wear your regular work clothes (including long underwear) underneath.

Carhartt bibs and a hoodie will tackle some pretty nasty cold and you can still move around fairly easily.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I own about a dozen pairs of their pants that I'm too fat for. Honestly I always got about a year and a half out of them before the crotch wore right through and one layer would be worn through on the knees. They cost $70 a pair.

Now I but $10 costco jeans that last about a year.

So short answer...no not worth it.

Bragger!!!! :laughing:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Their shirts are great. I live in black and dark blue Carhartt tees, which last nearly forever, or until my wife throws them out. Their long-sleeved shirts are very good too - they make good tall sizes. Somehow they make the most uncomfortable jeans in the world - how can something that loose be that uncomfortable?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Haven't had to wear any in 7 years...

Last pair of Bibs I bought cost around $100, on Sale (Farm and Barn)

Lasted a good 3 years anyway. Left knee wore out about 1 year in. Shleping block, roofing, framing, plowing... Hydrolic fluid. trans fluid, mortar are murder on fabric. Seems like we always had additions with block or funky brick work during the winter

Chances are the fabric weight is less now .... That would be my criteria for comparison. The heavier the weight the longer they will last.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I love their shirts nice and thick, seen to hold up well. I also like their loose fit carpenter pants, got a coat that's really warm. And overalls insulated and non insulated. Overall I like their stuff except the different size problem.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Try the Duluth trading firehose work wear. Beats Carhartt hands down, slightly lower price, and are loaded with pockets for tools and what not, plus, if you wear em out, Duluth will replace them. They have a no bull lifetime guarantee. I've got two of their jackets and one pair of pants and love em.

·
Super Moderator
10,678 Posts
I am an admitted cheapskate. I always saw other guys with the $100 Carhartt bibs and couldn't justify it. About ten years ago, I actually bought two pairs of Carhartt knock offs for about $40 a pair. What a genius I am. I got literally two for one.

Fast forward to the mid point of that winter. One pair the buttons came off one by one, and the other pair had the zipper failures constantly. Even though I had not worn either pair very often, they were both wearing through at the knees. After that debacle, I bought my first pair of genuine Carhartt bibs. That pair lasted through four or five angry Ohio winters. Now on my second pair and I think these have gone four so far with probably one to go.

Do It!!!!

·
Registered
818 Posts
My clothes end up being too stained and paint/caulk covered before they are too worn out.

Reactions: MarkJames
1 - 20 of 95 Posts