Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use a Cargo Trailers instead of Vans or Trucks?

If so how did you outfit them and why did you chose to use them.
How much did the cost?

By the way, theres an interesting article on the "Ultimate Paint Trailer" in the Aug/Sept issue of American Painting Contractor. They built this thing out to $25K.

-Nathan

Example:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
nwingate said:
Funny you bring this up. I spent a few hours last night looking for a trailer. I saw a ton on ebay.

We use vans for moving men and equipment. We have a dumptruck for moving debris and sometimes materials. We are looking to buy a small trailer for materials and debris for our repair man so he can haul his own trash.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
nwingate said:
How much were they running on Ebay Grumpy?
Anywhere from 300-30,000. Depends on size and features. I printed up the list and put it on my bosses desk. I put the big dump like the highway construction guys use as the first one to wake him up in the morning. H said: "We don't need anything this big!"

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
For a new 7' x 12' trailer bare package bumper pull you are looking at around $5000. And then probably another 1000-1500 to outfit it correctly. We built shelves (more like bins) on one side and large open shelves on the other. The bins were fit for our equipment - nailers, staplers, etc, and bins for 16d nails, 10d nails, etc. We had a larger open space at the front of the trailer for air compressors, stands, and clamp racks - this is at the same location as the front door for easily getting the larger objects out. We also had the drop down door instead of the swing doors - much handier for access.
We layed it out almost exactly to our equipment room in the shop so everything fit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reference Cargo Trailers

In reply to the cargo trailer,I have a Pace cargo trailer and i absolutely love it .I Built shelves on both sides made from 1x12s and went 6 ' long and 4 high. This has made things a lot easier and all my equipment is always on the job.If i have to leave,my workers still have access to what ever they may need

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
I use a 6' x 12' Hallmark. Cost me 3500 new and built the insides kinda like P.K did his. One the left side I used 1 x 2 s for uprights floor to roof brace, and shelving out of plywood. A large full width shelf in front to hold my larger miter saw and other junk. Small hanging shelving on the right side and 16 or so bins hanging off the wall for small parts. Below this is room for a shop vac, workmate, and mish stuff. I load 4x8 sheets agains the left shelving and clamp them in place while traveling. Ran five duplex outlets, GFCI protected, so I have power to charge batteries, listen to radio, and other things. It is working well. I drag it to a job, either leave it there until the project is done or drag it back home. It has become part of the truck. It also acts as a bill board for advertising.

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
Just remember when building your shelves to use screws. I used to build custom trailer interiors for the movie sets and we'd hire regular carpenters and they'd bring they're nail bags, levels and hammers! Hell, up to 2.5yrs ago I really never even swung a hammer at a nail! Nails will eventually pull out with the trailer bouncing up and down the road.

Just a pointer.:thumbup:

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
KBKConstruction said:
Just remember when building your shelves to use screws. I used to build custom trailer interiors for the movie sets and we'd hire regular carpenters and they'd bring they're nail bags, levels and hammers! Hell, up to 2.5yrs ago I really never even swung a hammer at a nail! Nails will eventually pull out with the trailer bouncing up and down the road.

Just a pointer.:thumbup:
Good advice for when I get around to getting my trailer. I generally use screws for most shelving I put together (in my shop mostly) to make it easier to disassemble and re-assemble. Now I have another good reason.

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
Also when screwing into the metal beams don't throw a 3"er in there and pop outside of your skin! I've seen that happen 1 too many times.:nerd:

·
SAGE
306 Posts
I use a 7x12 Car Mate with the rear ramp door and curb door. I have it outfitted with 2x4 and 3/4 ply shelves at the hitch end. 2' deep and the width of the trailer. Three shelves with the bottom shelf high enough to fit 5 Gal. buckets underneath. Each shelf has a removable stop (keep things from flying off the shelf). The rest is similar to everyone else's. Couldn't work without one, don't know how I ever did.:thumbup: $3500.00 out the door.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cargo trailer setup ideas?

I have just purchesed a 8.5x24' Haulmark cargo trailer..Now i have to decide on how to set it up in order to get the proper use out of it..Anyone know a company that sells cabinets and shelves,that are made for this purpose..I am using it for home remodeling,but i also want to use it for hauling mine and some friends Harleys and 4 wheelers..Hey,ya cant work all the time,lol...Thanks for any ideas or pics..

·
Registered
266 Posts
24 hr. Billboards

They are also great for marketing purposes. We used to just leave ours on the job-sites (with homeowner permission) and had those realtor boxes stuffed with fliers or brochures attached to each side of it. That way people that were walking down the sidewalk could just reach in and get info about our company. They are A LOT more noticeable than yard signs, which we also love.

A lot of neighbors of jobs in progress do not get home until the painters have left for the day or weekend. With a trailer left behind, the whole neighborhood knows we have been there!

"Never do residential jobs in a stealthy mannor."

Personally, I wouldn't use them in place of vans or trucks, but they are great for a lot of jobs. Little insurance, no gas, etc..

Paul

·
Registered
73 Posts
Paul Burns said:
We used to just leave ours on the job-sites (with homeowner permission) and had those realtor boxes stuffed with fliers or brochures attached to each side of it. That way people that were walking down the sidewalk could just reach in and get info about our company. Paul

The realtor boxes are a great idea. I think I will borrow that one if you don't mind.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Nathan said:
Does anyone use a Cargo Trailers instead of Vans or Trucks?

If so how did you outfit them and why did you chose to use them.
How much did the cost?

By the way, theres an interesting article on the "Ultimate Paint Trailer" in the Aug/Sept issue of American Painting Contractor. They built this thing out to $25K.

-Nathan

Example:

That is exactly what everybody has where i live. F 150 pulling one of those trailers behind it with there name on it. My plumbing heating and air condition guy has one and the carpenter who did my house also has one. Everybody in the business where i live has that kind of trailer be pulled behind Ford F 150. I mean everybody oh including the painting guy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts