Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So by trade I'm a carpenter framing and trimming residential for many years. I worked as a union journeyman carpenter for a few years working on commercial projects before I was told by a GC I was wasting my time and should move up to being a superintendent. I landed a job with this GC as an assistant super for 1 1/2 years before moving up to running my own projects.

I did 4-6 story projects before getting tired of being in one place for so long. I moved on to doing big box projects but I still didn't like the one place for so long thing again. This is when I started doing TI work (some ground up too) focusing on retail and heavy into restaurants. I found what I liked. Get in, get it done and move on to another project.

For 15 years I've traveled all over the country building mainly restaurants and higher end retail. I'm still heavy into the restaurant side. The past 5 years I've focused on one client. During this time I developed a set of guidelines that would enable any superintendent, who may have never seen one of these projects, be able to complete the project on time, on budget and with a minimal punch list.

I'm 54 now and thinking of making a move to project management. I've always stayed away from the numbers and left that to the estimators. I don't even want to know what the sub has negotiated as far as compensation for their scope of work. I generally handle the subs in the field concerning all issues and rarely call the office for support. When I do call it is due to a change order or they are lacking in performance (not showing up for work or lack of manpower related to a money issue) But I'm noticing that many companies are requiring a bachelor's degree in construction management. Hell, I've trained a majority of new project managers over the years. Some didn't have a clue about what I was talking about when an issue came along during a project.

I guess my question is this. Is there a way for me to get the training or knowledge I need to become a project manager without going to school for 4 years and getting a degree? I'm kind of doubtful a GC is going to want to hire a 58 year old new to the project management environment. They can hire a grad straight out of college for a lot less than what I make now. And I understand the pay structure between a project manager and a field superintendent is different.

Thoughts?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts