Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think there should be 5 year limits. I'd go into more detail but this is a public forum. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would you want a new batch of inexperienced inspectors every 5 years?
How about semi-retired guys that have been in the trades all their lives with some business experience to boot?? Plenty of them around.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Why would you want a new batch of inexperienced inspectors every 5 years?
IME I have (for the most part) had the most problems with new inspectors.The problem is compounded in my areas because the inspectors are combo inspectors.So the may only know what they learned in the class room just recently about any number of trades.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
How about semi-retired guys that have been in the trades all their lives with some business experience to boot?? Plenty of them around.
Quite a few of the inspectors in Tampa have contractors licenses (they have to put them on inactive status) they also have to be licensed as an inspector as well.

Most of my problems with inspectors come from new guys that don't know what they are doing, usually the guys with experience will work with you and won't jerk you around.

I am doing a commercial job that got through plan review, yet there are a lot of details missing, the inspector just wants the details and revisions sealed by the Architect, so that the plans will match what was built, becuase the plans not only show how the building was done, but it also establishes a record of how it was done.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Quite a few of the inspectors in Tampa have contractors licenses (they have to put them on inactive status) they also have to be licensed as an inspector as well.

Most of my problems with inspectors come from new guys that don't know what they are doing, usually the guys with experience will work with you and won't jerk you around.

I am doing a commercial job that got through plan review, yet there are a lot of details missing, the inspector just wants the details and revisions sealed by the Architect, so that the plans will match what was built, becuase the plans not only show how the building was done, but it also establishes a record of how it was done.
I agree.An experienced inspector will use common sense.Crazy as that sounds a lot of new ones won't.Like if something is missed on plan check.If the inspector see's that you built it right they will let it go and just have the engineer ad an as-built to the plans.
Where as a newbie will be afraid of making a mistake or getting in trouble and sometimes throw a monkey wrench in to the whole thing.

·
Registered
514 Posts
While I will agree inexperienced inspectors can cause some headaches, I think they can often be persuaded to your line of thinking if your interpretation of the code reasonable. My biggest problems with inspectors have come from the guys that failed in the real construction world and now have a chip on their shoulder to prove that they are better than everyone else and want to make everyone's life as miserable as theirs once was (is?). It's sort of like a cop with a Napoleon complex.

·
Registered
189 Posts
This is going to come across poorly, but failing an inspection isn't necessarily a bad thing. Time and money considered it obviously is. Professionally though, it removes complacency and keeps one's ego in check. When each one of us started driving, I assume, we kept it at 10 and 2 and the roadway had our complete and total focus. After many years, though, it becomes routine and our attention to detail falls by the wayside. The older guys know the truly basic principles of the trade and, to be honest, I'd rather fail convincingly with them than pass a newer guy's potentially lower standards.

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
In my area the inspector make $20,000 a year with no benefits. The guys doing it have alot of cities, they all seem ok. I almost applied for one of them. The one building inspector does GC and is also a inspector. I dont know how that works. Maybe he inspects his own work, I think he just doesnt get a permit.

There was one city about 30 miles north where a building inspector was also the city ordnance officer. He lost the building inspector job because he was abusing the power he had from both jobs.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
inspectors around here are in the 60k range with full benny's.

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
If they had that here I sure as hell would have tried to get it. I woulsnt mind doing 2 or 3 cities, its all part time work. Most have 5 or more cities around here. The building inspector for my city is in his 80s. I may be after that one.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Around here they need to communicate better.

On a job last year I got hit 3 times in one day. 2 subs on the job and everybody had to go through the paperwork. Basically a 1/2 day lost. The biach was that I knew 2 of the guys, the chick was new.

The other biach is that I spent 7 yrs. as a govt. employee and know it from their side. They just have to justify their time.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's where they are at around here too. 20 year guys with no real experience to start off with . I'd like to see them pushed back out into the real world and have to work for a living. But I know they would scrap to their death to keep their cushy jobs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts