Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm intersted to hear how you all build your carcasses.

Do you run your sides down past the base like on the left, or set them on top of the base (on the right)?

Cabinet samples.jpg

Unless I have a good reason not to, I drop the sides on top of the base. It provides better vertical support, and I only need to make the 1-1/2" adjustment to the measurement once (to the height) if I'm building a whole set at the same height but different widths instead of adjusting for each individual unique cabinet width.

I build 'em like that, but I see them the other way all the time...

I know this could turn into cope vs. miter :furious:, but thought I'd dip into the collective wisdom anyway. :thumbup:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I hire a professional so I don't have to make these decisions.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Are you talking finished or unfinished ends?

I have to assume you are referring to unfinished ends. If so you are doing it the same way I do.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sides all the way down for a clean look, - - who wants to see the sides of the bottoms??
Oh my. :huh:

No one wants to see the sides of the bottoms. If the end is exposed, I'll usually cap it with a framed panel that mimics the look of the doors. The end-cap panel and the side wall of the cabinet are both capped in front with 1-1/2" face frame.

End grain is bad.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,946 Posts
Usually I make a lower cabinet that has the sides go down to the floor. I use a dado to trap the deck of the cabinet. The end panel is usually the side of the panel. If it needs to be a panel end I just add it to it.

If you are using a system with a detached toe this can work toward your advantage for plywood savings. You can make the sides less than 32" and get 6 sides per sheet instead of 4.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I take them all the way to the floor on mods
On builtins I take the end panels all the way down and the interim panels are bisquet joined to the surface.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts