Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do y'all have company vehicles or do you insure your employees' personal vehicles?

I have a small landscaping company with 4 employees. I don't have an central location or yard to store vehicles and I don't have adequate parking in my neighborhood to park separate company vehicles for everyone, so I'm wondering if it makes more sense to just insure my employee's vehicles in case they get in an accident while driving supplies around at work. But it's very expensive, like $3k/year per vehicle!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
My insurance agent explained to me that as long as my employees are listed as drivers on my company vehicles (commercial auto policy) then their personal vehicles are also covered while in use at work and being used for work.
For quite a while my employees would use their own vehicles if we split the crew up and they would transport tools and such to a second job site.

I never liked my employees using their own vehicles for my work. Gradually I made changes, I said no more towing trailers or lifts etc with personal vehicles.
I then bought a company truck and then a second van. I finally have it where my employees don’t have to ride on buckets in the back of a van, I can split the crew and we all have the tools we need without jockeying equipment around, and I an not depending on an employee’s POS truck.
It took a few years for me to make the changes but glad I did.

I will also add the following: anytime an employee is riding in one of my vehicles they are on the clock.
I have three employees, and a fourth from time to time.
I have just enough room at my home for my employees to park and keep my vehicles but it gets crowded.
Parking is a real issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts