Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bathroom I'm working on that has some really well done car decking. Actually the whole house was done really well. As an experiment, we are considering leaving it exposed. We are also going to pull down the sheetrock in a bedroom and leave it exposed if it is as nice.

Any problems doing this? Any suggestions for filling small cracks and voids to keep the critters out and how would you finish it? It's our place, so if it doesn't work, we will just rock it later.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Common... I'm probably a dummy.... but WTF is car decking.

Am I crazy, or does everyopne else have any idea what you're talking about.

(Maybe I'm Colorado ignorent... or maybe just ignorent)

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
TimelessQuality said:
It's t&g with bevels and a groove I think... Car siding comes from the old wooden train days.. Box car siding
We had a thread about "car siding" several years ago. And you are correct about the siding term.

OP mentioned "car decking". I bet it's a local term for 2x6 t&g

·
Registered
12,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Oops, I was heading out and forgot to post a pick. Around here we call car decking 1x material that is used to sheath the older houses. Most of them have it on all surfaces, both sides of the walls interior and exterior, as well as the top of the main floor and both sides of the middle floors. Accessible attic spaces usually have it on the living space side. It is run either horizontal, or at a 45 degree. Every once in a while you'll see it as a 1 x 12 at a 45 for exterior sheathing.

Here's a pic. This just had some paneling lightly glued to it, so should sand up and look nice. The original builder worked in a fir mill, so there is a lot of clear or nearly clear lumber in the house. The nail heads will take some thought though. Maybe just leave them be.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Vinyl..... Thanks... Never heard that term....learned something:thumbsup: (Never heard wall sheathing called decking either)

To a Colorado mountain "kid" (ha-ha), car decking would be heavily engineered deck extending from street level to downslope that provides automobile parking.....:clap:

Question from the pic... Is there any bevel on that TnG and how well does the TnG plane out (even).

Boy.... It sure seems like there ought to be something neat to do with it as it looks like nice wood... but the nails present an issue.

Maybe you just want to use one wall, or the ceiling as an accent wall or ceiling. Maybe do some more nailing to make everything look consistant, and in essence the nail heads become a "historical" type highlight to the wall.

I'm assuming (sure) you don't want to paint it and that you can stain it out (that the previous glue has not ruined that possibility.

Just some thoughts....

(Not really your application... but my daughter had a roof/ceiling decking with TnG deep bevel dark stained that was just to dark.
We painted it an off white to lighten her place up.... but because of the deep bevels which would cast a deep dark shadow, we filled them all with about 4 cases of acrylic caulk....and two coats of cover stain.

Came out looking great)

·
Registered
12,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There's no bevel at all, but it does plane out perfectly flat. If I sand them, it will be more like a floor than anything else.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
What style decor do you have? I could see doing something modern with that, like a gray pickling except for two or three bands done in a color that works with your furnishings.

It's nice but I think it will look like plywood strips to most people.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
What style decor do you have? I could see doing something modern with that, like a gray pickling except for two or three bands done in a color that works with your furnishings.

It's nice but I think it will look like plywood strips to most people.
Yes^^^^^Ethan has a good point imo,....

Or, rather than pronounce it, is there some kind of decoration (rug, decoration with relief,) where the finished wood would just be a nice backdrop/frame.

(Caution... I'm a worse decorator than I'm a Tinner.... and I've never even tried tinning... except for that little kick-out bend on a roof valley one time 30 years ago...:clap:)

·
Registered
Remodel
29,618 Posts
If it's pine, you can make it look like almost anything. Here's the dilemma. To keep the nail heads from rusting, you really need oil based on them. To keep the finish from darkening over time, I've always used acrylic.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
If it's pine, you can make it look like almost anything. Here's the dilemma. To keep the nail heads from rusting, you really need oil based on them. To keep the finish from darkening over time, I've always used acrylic.
H.... Interesting, I would have thought a water poly would prevent rusting also.... guess I never ran into the issue.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts