Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished day 1 of Certified Aging in Place designation training. Convinced more now than ever that this is going to be a large growth segment of the remodeling market. Anyone else have this designation, or starting to focus more on this segment?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a designation given by the NAHB (National Assoc. of Home Builders) It has three parts teaching the attendee how to identify, market to, and build for the Aging in Place market. People who want to stay in their homes as they age. The course touches on universal design, handicapped needs etc. I have wanted to get deeper into this market after I built a barrier free shower for a client. She told me about it and I finally made the time to take the class.

·
Super Moderator
29,964 Posts
Im CAPS certified, also have my CGR (certified graduate remodeler) designation. One course from my GMB (Graduate Master Builder).

My old man has his GMB , GMR (Graduate Master Remodeler), and CGP (certified green professional)

I thought the CAPS course was ok. Our instructor was a really good caps remodeler. I already did most of the chit they taught as far as nuts and bolts. Day 2 is marketing, I dont really market.

Reactions: ArtisanRemod

·
Super Moderator
29,964 Posts
As the "baby boomers" are approaching retirement age, there is certainly going to be a need in this market, particularly given the number of baby boomers in our population
Thats what they said in the course. :thumbsup:

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,854 Posts
Architect friend of mine wants to build a spec universal design home next year. I'll probably get the chance to bid on it. I'm not certified, but I've been thinking about doing it. The Archy was pretty impressed that I even knew what it was. Guess alot of Builders still aren't too familiar with it.

·
Super Moderator
29,964 Posts
Universal Design has been around a while. I remember digging footers the summer between my 8th grade and freshman year for a house my old man built for paralyzed guy. No toe kicks, easy pull handles , roll in shower, the works

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.