Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
Remove them back to the line they branch off from to avoid creating a code violating dead end section of piping.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
You're not allowed to cap off plumbing?
Codes vary, but I have never seen a code that allowed you to have a dead end water line that exceeded two feet in length, the water that is in there never moves and can allow the growth of bacteria that can leech into the house water piping.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,334 Posts
Copper is an natural disinfectant. PEX on the other hand will do nothing.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
A touch of my work boot caused a shark bite fitting to explode on a master bath remodel about 2 years ago. I will never trust them as a permanent fix nor would I have before this.

KTS knows code and I wouldn't care to drink water that has been trapped in a line for 20 years either, and I will pretty much do anything.

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
tedanderson - If you have to ask...maybe you shouldn't.
I'm asking because I was given advice by a contractor and was wondering if the advice I was given was good or not. I had not heard of using the shark-bite caps until now. So when you hear of something that you hadn't before what do you do, you ask.

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Codes vary, but I have never seen a code that allowed you to have a dead end water line that exceeded two feet in length, the water that is in there never moves and can allow the growth of bacteria that can leech into the house water piping.
No worries here as where I have to cut it to cap would be well within a foot to 14 inches of where they come thru the concrete floor.

·
Registered
819 Posts
i would never use a sharkbite in a wall unless i had no other choice

ive never heard of a code about leaving dead ends...i dont believe it exists...

bacteria wont grow

here in WI we have something called MultiPurpose piping...its basically sprinkler lines for 1 and 2 family houses.....Sprinkler fitters got 3+ family homes and plumbers got 1/2 family homes.....it is NOT a separate plumbing line....its just dead ends running to a sprinkler head....so you go pick up a shower, then run to a sprinkler with the same water pipe.....you have dead ends all over the house....havent heard of anyone dying of bacteria or ebola

water still moves around...even on a dead end..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts