Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard today that a former client of mine was walking on his backyard lawn with his kids ( last month) and the ground caved in under his feet. He nearly fell into an old well - 30 ft., at least. He had purchased the house a year ago. It was not marked anywhere, and the previous owner did not know about it, either. It seems to have been capped with wood, then concrete, in the 1950's, and it finally failed.

He had it filled completely with concrete.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
I had a customer that found out he had an old cistern in his driveway after he drove his $200,000+ RV home from the dealership and his driveway collapsed under it.

·
Registered
26,133 Posts
Some of the old septic tanks around here were wood and covered with grass. They get "rediscovered" from time to time.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Some of the old septic tanks around here were wood and covered with grass. They get "rediscovered" from time to time.
Had one of those appear over night in a school parking lot.

Pretty good sized sinkhole one morning...

22' down was an OLD Redwood septic tank.

40+ yards of CDF that afternoon...
asphalt guy in the next morning...
and we were done...:thumbsup:

·
Lazy Millennial
3,953 Posts
We find old bottles of booze from time to time but they were very easy to find in one particular older community. How the town planners thought to set up the backward random road system back in day suddenly made more sense.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
As far as wells, most states require bentonite and grout. That said, It may not apply to a shallow well as it is probably not in an aquifer, but a perched water table

·
Registered
10,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Through the grapevine, I got an update on the well.

The owner had it filled with concrete.. Since that was done, rainwater has been backing up in their basement (unfinished). It turns out some of the drains (maybe foundation drains?) were terminated at the well....sort of repurposing it. It was also learned that the previous owner did know all about it and was the one to cap it. Lied through their teeth. How did they find out? A relative showed up months later to learn their family had sold it without her knowledge, and she knew all about the work.

Today it's raining heavily...wondering how it's going over there right about now. Yikes.

Edit: I wonder if there's a bit of karma playing out here. A year ago I was working there, too, and got them my flooring guy. We had a little referral fee thing we were trying out at the time. Anyway, the work took longer due to some old-house issues, and then the owner was flustered and held back a couple hundred because he wasn't done by the revised completion date. My floor guy was furious, and it just meant my finder fee went up in smoke, as well. We both just wanted to get out of there. No goodwill left by the end.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts