Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
When I was a kid my mom got a new dryer. I took apart the old one just to see what was inside. It had a capacitor the size of a can of soda, which had a charge in it big enough to knock me on my butt a day or so after the machine had been unplugged for the last time.

·
Designer/Contractor
5,027 Posts
A relative of mine told me that in his youth he used to charge up a big capacitor, go knock on someone's door and when they went to touch the screen door, discharge it on the screen which I guess is the electronic version of the paper bag filled with poop and lit on fire on the porch scenario..........

·
Registered
Remodel
30,221 Posts
I learned fixing old TVs (the kind with tubes instead of transistors) when I was in grade school. Use a long screwdriver to ground whatever it is to chassis before you touch it, and keep your other hand in you back pocket at all times. Once you get used to it, it doesn't slow you down too much. It's pretty handy if you're working around 8KV high amp equipment while it's hot - any mistake is a bad mistake.

Sometimes high voltage stuff doesn't kill you, it just blows your arm open and cooks it like a sausage - seen it happen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts