Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I consider myself middle of the road political guy. I was against this cap and trade bill until I watched the final two hours of debates in congress. The majority of the time I watched, Rep. Boehner (the minority leader) decided to go through the 300+ pages that were amended to the bill at 3am this morning. There was so many regulations requiring houses to come up to all these new codes for being energy efficient my head was spinning.

From heat loss, to energy efficiency in appliances, from leaking windows to old boilers. The Rep read that if a house that is put up for sale does not meet these new "green" guidelines, the house has to be made current to these new standards for the house to sell.

That means opening up walls, adding insulation, new appliances, new fixtures, new doors, new windows, and whatever else that is considered not being "green".

The best one was every house is going to be required to have a hybird outlet placed in a driveway to accomodate these new electric cars coming out.

Crazy stuff going on

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
219-212 approving the bill, 7 R's voted YAY. Most are saying the bill will not pass in the Senate and will die there.

I'm wondering where all these homeowners are going to get the money to pay for all these improvements? Its not like we can get free money anymore. What a crazy complicated world we live in

·
Pro
563 Posts
I'm not sure if this willl be good for anybody except the ones who hold all the carbon credits, (GE, and Al Gore) they will make billions. Seems like it will make the cost of everything go up, especially electric and fuel.

Bill

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Sure it all sounds good and dandy till you look at who is paying for the show. Sure you will be working and selling product but so will everybody else. And everybody else will be paying for it just like you. Nobody will win. Unless you like working to survive.

If you are wondering what I am talking about? Inflation plain and simple if whether or not the government (Us) pays for it or the private sector. Everything will be going up to accomodate the price of getting it done. Sure you will have work but so does a slave when the fields are sowed.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
I'm glad you posted this. :thumbsup:

While on the surface it seems all warm and fuzzy...it's fairly ridiculous....

The best one was every house is going to be required to have a hybird outlet placed in a driveway to accomodate these new electric cars coming out.
Q: So what is the standard NEMA configuration fo this "hybird outlet"?
A: There isn't a standard configuration.

[This in addition to the other points made on costs, etc]

For this time around the block, IMHO, it will die in the Senate.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Greening up housing sounds like a grand idea, it has to happen at some point. I wonder what kind of boondoogle it will be turned into though.
A green house would be built of structural metal stub no solid wood would be all MDF.

Sounds like most houses today except for the metal stud. Could also go with solar energy. However most municipalities require you to tied to the grid with standard electricity.

So can you tell me how houses built today can be more green? You are supposedly in the industry.

Supposedly MDF is a green product but can kill the guy cutting it from cancer. :blink:

·
Banned
917 Posts
A green house would be built of structural metal stub no solid would be all MDF.

Sounds like most houses today except for the metal stud. Could also go with solar energy. However most municipalities require you to tied to the grid with standard electricity.

So can you tell me how houses built today can be more green? You are supposedly in the industry.

Supposedly MDF is a green product but can kill the guy cutting it from cancer. :blink:
By greening up I was refering to the op, upgrades to existing housing, not neccessarily solar but common sense things like windows, insulation, roof systems etc.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Uhh, yeah, - - like Obama's 31-year old pantywaist who hasn't even finished college yet and admits he knows absolutely nothing about cars running GM might know more than everyone, too?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Uhh, yeah, - - like Obama's 31-year old pantywaist who hasn't even finished college yet and admits he knows absolutely nothing about cars running GM might know more than everyone, too?? :rolleyes:
I know a lot of builders that know nothing about building a home other than putting the pieces together in the right place. I suppose you could draw some similarities....no?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just another move towards this: http://www.mtmultipleuse.org/wilderness/wildlands_project.htm

Bottom line? Make current housing obsolete, set the bar very high to ensure it can't be upgraded, and then tear them all down. Reclaim the land, and have the majority of the population live in centralized locations to allow at least 50% of the land to be "wild".

There's some real serious hardcore anti population advocates out there....

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
The people who make these stupid laws are rich, they have no idea about the average person. If grandma dies and you inherit her house you will no longer be able to sell it to help pay some of her bills, that is unless you just have all kinds of cash setting around to upgrade the place.
Who is gonna upgrade all of the houses that are setting empty right now ? I have atleat 5 on my block. So now they will continue to set empty, and the condition of them will keep getting worse untill years from now they get tore down ....... maybe. All of the older urban houses will be pretty much unable to be sold, but the people who live in these area's are not able to buy a house in the suburbs, so now what ? Is there gonna be some more government spending to upgrade these people's home? Thats just what we need.

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
The Cap and Trade bill is going to cost Americans greatly. It will drive up the cost of every item we buy. I don't have a problem with being enviromently friendly, but global warming is pure B.S. and our government is playing us for fools because 90% of our nation is too stupid to know what is going on and they can get away with it.

Master, don't get too excited. That extra income won't mean shi* when a loaf of bread is $5 and your electric bill doubles.

There is a reason why the rest of the world isn't jumping on the band wagon and investors are running away from wall street. Our elected officials are making very poor decisions and it is you and I who will ulitimitly pay.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts