1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I never used a fiberglass cap but if you go with this set up be sure to keep the rack as close to the ends and corners of the cap for the most strength. If they get mounted inward to far or away from the corners to far then you take a chance of the fiberglass flexing under load which over time will cause it to crack and eventually break away. How much weight do you plan to carry, you may want to check the ratings on the cap before you make a purchase.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Nothing beats a real over the cab rack. With "modern" materials such as MDF, Azek etc, or even just small moldings in wood, when you carry full lenghts having the support of the over the cab rack is key. Watch craigslist and you can pick one up a decent price.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just picked up my truck yesterday. Installed a retrax cover and the sliding trac rac...I love it. Looks good, works great. Kind of costly for the combo but now that I see it its great. The only thing that bugs me a little is that the trac rac does not sit fully on my bed rails. I have a dodge ram and at the rear of the bed it tapers inward so it makes it look like the trac rac is sitting off the rails. Its very well secured into the stake hole pockets so I am not worried about loading it up or it moving. But its the only thing you can do to make sure the trac rac bed rails are perfectly parrallel to each other so it slides smoothely. Other than that little thing the system is fantastic. Have the attachement for over the cab extension but its not in yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts