Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sooo, had a potential new client that called and asked for a "bottom to go on his patio cover" Said the guy that built it did a great job, but they dont like the look of the 2x6's. said "well, we can do either a plywood bottom, and change out the perimeter to 2x8's to frame out the ply, or we can do a ship lap for a better look...how "bout you send me some pics and I will see what we can do for you, and get you a ball park price" (he lives about 45 minutes away, I try to stay within a 30 minute one way radius.) so he sends these pics. I thought to my self how can any one pay for something like this and say it was a great job?! my call back to him was apologetic. Told him that if i touched it, i'd be liable for it. and there fore would have to turn it down. That if he ever wanted to replace it, id be happy to get him a price. I thought he was handling it well, as i was being as gentle as possible and he pops off with "all you [email protected]#king white guys are trying to rip me off. I just want the bottom covered so I dont have to see all the wood. Why cant you just do as I ask?!" I had to bite my tongue, and reply with "i am sorry sir, part of why we have to be licensed is to make sure things are done right. and to code. If you have had several guys tell you the same thing, do you think you might want to research it for yourself?"

anyways...maybe you guys can look at the pics and see how long before youd pass that job up....lol

·
Master of none.
85 Posts
I was always taught, YOU touch it, YOU own it. I wouldnt own that thing if you paid me...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
update...surprised by this one....he called back the next day. and apologized. said he thought about it, and since 3 guys all said the same thing, he figured he'd research it. said it was a handshake deal to build it, and will consider a demo and rebuild. asked if i'd be interested in giving him a quote. I replied "glad you came around. and glad to hear you will do something with it. I have to decline the opportunity to bid this job though, as your initial reaction is a red flag for my time and experience. but good luck, and check for licenses. AND MAKE SURE ITS PERMITTED AND INSPECTED SO YOU DONT GET TAKEN AGAIN.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts