Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I should have known better but I did it anyway. I would have never done this with a client, but I did it with my own house. I had some old primer in the garage which was an almost near tinted match to the paint that I was using. The primer worked great in blocking out a dark color on 2 walls in the basement. The problem I had was that the primer was bad / spoiled. When I openned the can it smelt like bad feet...probably from being frozen or air exposure over time. I still decided to use it thinking that 2 coats of paint would cover up the smell. I was dead wrong and embarrassed.

After 2 coats of paint the primer smell was still leaking through the paint (good quality 100% acrylic paint - no I did not cheap out on this one). I decided to put on a third coat with an added liquid odor enchancer to the paint...a little better but still have the smell. I have tried airing out the room for 2 days and using 3 odor eliminating pucks...all of which have helped somewhat but not a complete solution.

Any suggestions to remedy this problem??? I thought about using Zinnser Odorless Oil stain (tinted) followed with 1 coat of paint. Would the primer seal in the smell??? Do I need to use something stronger such as BIN??

It has only been 4 days since the last application of paint. Maybe I should leave it for another week and air it out and the smell will go away??

You suggestions for odor elimination would be helpful. Yes I know...never do it again...fortunately it was on my own house...unfortunately...it was 3 days before a party and the wife is still mad...rightfully so.

Thanks

Zeebo

·
Registered
684 Posts
cut an onion in half , place in a bowl with vanilla extract.let ferment:thumbsup:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Yes I should have known better but I did it anyway. I would have never done this with a client, but I did it with my own house. I had some old primer in the garage which was an almost near tinted match to the paint that I was using. The primer worked great in blocking out a dark color on 2 walls in the basement. The problem I had was that the primer was bad / spoiled. When I openned the can it smelt like bad feet...probably from being frozen or air exposure over time. I still decided to use it thinking that 2 coats of paint would cover up the smell. I was dead wrong and embarrassed.

After 2 coats of paint the primer smell was still leaking through the paint (good quality 100% acrylic paint - no I did not cheap out on this one). I decided to put on a third coat with an added liquid odor enchancer to the paint...a little better but still have the smell. I have tried airing out the room for 2 days and using 3 odor eliminating pucks...all of which have helped somewhat but not a complete solution.

Any suggestions to remedy this problem??? I thought about using Zinnser Odorless Oil stain (tinted) followed with 1 coat of paint. Would the primer seal in the smell??? Do I need to use something stronger such as BIN??

It has only been 4 days since the last application of paint. Maybe I should leave it for another week and air it out and the smell will go away??

You suggestions for odor elimination would be helpful. Yes I know...never do it again...fortunately it was on my own house...unfortunately...it was 3 days before a party and the wife is still mad...rightfully so.

Thanks

Zeebo
Next time use shellac base , get stoned quicker and odor evaporates faster.:w00t:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cut an onion in half , place in a bowl with vanilla extract.let ferment:thumbsup:
I read about this before....does the onion smell eliminate / destroy the odor....or does it just hide it for a couple of days???

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Strongest odor, lingering for months.. >>> Minced garlics on hot cooking oil... fried about 30 minutes until brown/black... guaranteed even your clothes & skins absorbed good smelling flavors in your sleep.. lol.. (just kidding, don't try it)

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
I have heard a bowl of white vinegar will dissipate the paint smell....the stinky feet smell? Dunno about that?

I do know I opened an older 5gal bucket of primer that reeked like someone took a dump in it [not possible, my own home project] - I decided it wasn't worth the risk of that smell not leaving until after the holidays.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Old paint/primer will go bad like that and start growing stuff in it. I would seal it with BIN and not chance the odorless Zinnser, since that is technically an acrylic in solvent, not an alkyd resin. One other option might be to get an ozone machine in there and see if that kills the odor.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
In future, upon opening a can of
indeterminate age.
Consider the aroma to be an
IQ test of sorts. :thumbsup:

·
paper hanger,painter
916 Posts
One other option might be to get an ozone machine in there and see if that kills the odor.

I would try this first,probably work,as would just leaving it alone for a couple more days.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts

:thumbsup:

Really though, more time and open windows and fans might help
Zinsser's Perma-Stink...er Perma-White can take weeks to stop stinking

1 - 18 of 18 Posts