Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
King of Caulk
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a leak in a customers roof (that I did not put on) It's a standard metal roof about 10 years old or so. there is a leak coming in from around a plumbing vent stack. I put on a new boot, and stuck it down with a little pro-seal. The vent is centered over a seam. I filled the gap in the seam before I put the boot on. Still leaks. There is nothing even remotely close to it. it has to be coming in from the vent, but how?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
What's uphill from the pipe?
There has to be an entry point. And I'm sure you know water will run under the metal and leak through the hole for the vent pipe.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,128 Posts
If the vent is centered over the seam and you sealed the seam some this can be your problem. the water is or can be siphoning over the seam at this point. . Had this happen to me last year, Ended up popping it lose and sealing all the way to the ridge, which was only a couple of feet. problem solved has not leaked since.

·
King of Caulk
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to those that posted helpful replies.
There is nothing uphill of the vent, until the peak.
And Tom there is a nice new boot screwed around the vent. I used the pro-seal. ( a high quality caulk NOT the crap in a spray can for crying out loud) to fill in any areas where the boot may not have conformed to the seam

1 - 13 of 13 Posts