Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all, so I have a client with a full storm door that continuous blows open no matter what I do. I installed a heavy hydraulic closer on both the top and bottom and adjusted them so the door slams closed and latches. I also installed a chain. I came back today to finish up another project and found that after one night the door had ripped the bottom bracket from the wall, taking the wood with it. The top arm had bent. The bracket AND pin that held the chain to the door is also bent to the point where it is unsafe to keep up under tension. Other than charging her hourly for me to stand there and make sure it stays closed, what other ideas do you guys have?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I assume it has the glas panel installed?
I assume you've already tinkered with and have gotten the latch adjusted correctly so it makes a solid latch when it does close?

If yes to both of the above...raise up the threshold seal to allow the air that gets pancaked in between storm door as it closes and entry door to escape.

Sounds stupid and counter productive, I get it, but the only way to make sure the door shuts right is to give the trapped air some place to go or else it will keep barely shutting/barely catching the latch since the closures aren't strong enough to overcome the compressed air between the doors.

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
One little thing I do with storms are that I don't hug the hinge on the inside of the jamb. . I keep it an 1/8 off the brick mold so I can prevent binding of the hinge. That will help closing.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I am with IHI. When doing storm doors, I do one of a few things without the customer knowing. Pending the door, cut the rubber threshold strip short, cut the felt strips short on the bottoms, leave the bottom strip on a slight angle, I have even adjusted the door threshold to let the air back in the house to say, any or what-ever to let the "air" out for the latch to catch! THAT is the biggest issue with these things, in my opinion.
How can a door swing open in the wind if IT is latched properly?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
If it does not latch that can be a problem.Install it properly so it latches.That is what you were paid for handyman.If you can't install a stormdoor correctly ,maybe you should stick with painting.Sorry if this is abrupt but this is what gives a lot of contractors a bad name.Nimrods that can't install a screen door correctly.

·
Box Builder
6,315 Posts
Are you sure the problem isn't your client? I'd the thing latches then it should stay shut. Never heard of a door just coming undone, except in extreme wind situations. Are they opening the door and just letting it go in big wind, or not making sure it is closed properly if they are going in slowly with groceries or something?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,221 Posts
What are you thinking Tin, air lock?
Air lock is a whole other grief machine, but he claims to have overcome that. I'm talking about those situations where you have an insane prevailing wind that will rip the door wide open even if you're holding onto it with both hands.

Awkward as it might be, if you must have a storm door under those circumstances, moving the hinges to the other side makes the wind try to close the door rather than rip it wide open.

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
Remove storm door

Throw in dumpster

Repeat this with every storm door everywhere
So how do you enjoy the fresh air? Do you never open your front door.

That's a sad way to live.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
So how do you enjoy the fresh air? Do you never open your front door.

That's a sad way to live.
I go outside. Otherwise I have a pretty sweet modcon boiler, central air and an HRV to keep a perfect indoor environment.

I'd say it's a sad way to live if a screen door is ones only means to enjoy fresh air, but that's just one point of view.

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
I go outside. Otherwise I have a pretty sweet modcon boiler, central air and an HRV to keep a perfect indoor environment.

I'd say it's a sad way to live if a screen door is ones only means to enjoy fresh air, but that's just one point of view.
I am pretty sure I never said it's my only way to enjoy fresh air. I like to enjoy it all day long, even when I am inside. It's great to hear my kids playing outside. It's great to feel the fresh breeze as I sit down to eat diner with the family. I like the smell of rain coming my way and enjoy the sounds and smells as it passes through.

I don't like AC or conditioned air. I guess I am old fashion that way. I don't need an artificial environment.

·
Registered
Remodel
26,681 Posts
I like storm doors, but they can take a fair amount of maintenance. Cottectly done, they'll protect the entry door pretty well. With storm doors, you can find 100+ year old original wooden entry doors still in use.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
I don't like AC or conditioned air.
Move down to the deep South and you'll change your mind quickl in the summertime. :laughing:

FWIW - I love full view screen/storms. Have my doors wide open right now, letting in the fresh air (screens in). Ceiling fans on. Beautiful day and I ain't doing squat except kicking back, watching the world go by :clap:.

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
Move down to the deep South and you'll change your mind quickl in the summertime. :laughing:

FWIW - I love full view screen/storms. Have my doors wide open right now, letting in the fresh air (screens in). Ceiling fans on. Beautiful day and I ain't doing squat except kicking back, watching the world go by :clap:.
Grew up in Arlington Texas. I would still open my house abd use an attic fan. My mother grew up in Grand Prairie with no AC. It's just a matter if getting used to it.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
But I don't want to get used to it :no:. Kinda like living where you do now. You just have to get 'used to' the cold in winter. No thanks. I have family in Wisconsin I occasionally visit during the holidays. Waaaaaay too cold for me :laughing:. Yeah, call me a pussy. I freely admit I don't like frigid temps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts