Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The latest buzz in Southern Ontario, is the idea of going to Florida to frame. I think some of the boys don't like the snow..LOL.

Just wondering if anyone has done this? Also is it beneficial financially? If so how do I get hooked up down there?

I have extensive framing experience (i.e. read plans, can do cut roof or truss roof, can build pretty much anything out of wood.)

Thanks for the help. :cheesygri

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
You can come down but don't intend to stay. I had lunch today with a guy from Toronto and he has to go back once a year to renew his visa.
I told him to fly to Cuba, get citizenship and float over on some innertubes. THEN we would welcome him with open arms.
I swear that I don't understand how this country works sometimes.
Educated, speak the language, willing and able to work, have some money? We don't want you. Just the opposite and we'll suck you up like a ShopVac.

·
Registered
22 Posts
CDNcontractor said:
Hi all,

The latest buzz in Southern Ontario, is the idea of going to Florida to frame. I think some of the boys don't like the snow..LOL.

Just wondering if anyone has done this? Also is it beneficial financially? If so how do I get hooked up down there?

I have extensive framing experience (i.e. read plans, can do cut roof or truss roof, can build pretty much anything out of wood.)

Thanks for the help. :cheesygri

I just moved to Ct a few months back from N.Tampa, Fl.
It's well worth the money building there!
lots of work and $$, i'm going back just to sub some work for a few months.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Did ya miss the ice & snow?

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
"I told him to fly to Cuba, get citizenship and float over on some innertubes. THEN we would welcome him with open arms.
I swear that I don't understand how this country works sometimes.
Educated, speak the language, willing and able to work, have some money? We don't want you. Just the opposite and we'll suck you up like a ShopVac."

We have similar problems up here too Teetor. Landed immigrants can get a higher monthly cheque from the government than senior citizens on the government's Old Age Pension. People, who by the way paid all their life while living and working in Canada.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are quite a few "recruiters" here in Indiana trying to steal about any kind of contractor possible to go down and re-build Florida. I've been pretty surprised.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Bob, I'm having a hard enough time keeping my own act together to help build a nest for more competition.
We got bimbos and bozos and bikers and boozers,
9 AM drunks and 3 time losers,
Michael McCloud, Greatestits CD.....Great music.
This is no place for a midwesterner, you'd be like Clint Eastwood in 'Paint Your Wagon'. LOL

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
It's here http://www.michaelmccloud.com/ but it's not what you're expecting in a cover. Great irreverent Key West music though. He wrote 'Tourist Town Bar' in the bathroom after learning that his gig had been terminated, then played it as the finale in his last set. It ridicules the entire enterprise of Key West. Priceless.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The move to Florida buzz is flying around my area as well. I know of one roofing and one framing crew that went down there in Nov, supposedly had already lined up plenty of sub-work before leaving ;) Haven't seen any of them back here as yet. I know drywallflorida's site is full of job listings in the "sunshine state". Sunshine my butt, lived in the panhandle for a couple of yrs back in the '80s while in the AF. Rained an awful lot, I thought the sun shined more when I was stationed in Colorado. Have to admit the eye candy was way nicer down there though, especially during spring break! :D

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
walldoc said:
Have to admit the eye candy was way nicer down there though, especially during spring break! :D

Dirty Old Man!!!! LOL :cheesygri

·
Registered
81 Posts
try lgo intime management systemswww.lgoitms.ns.ca they are out of halifax looking for alot of trades people.I talked with jerry purcel last week
good luck

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The panhandle is refered to as the 'redneck riviera'. You have to go a few hundred miles further south to get to the heart of FL. If you get to Coconut Grove or Key West, you have gone too far.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts