Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

After witnessing many deck stains peel I thought I would go ahead and conduct my own test.

I had some fence boards left over from last year and decided to gather all the stain samples I could. I visited local paint stores, and most were happy to provide samples, donate 'mistints' or charge a very small fee for my project.

Wood Table Hardwood Lumber Roof

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Plywood Siding

From top to bottom / left to right
Behr semi transparent
Sikkens (the penetrating one) (only a small sample)
Timber pro uv
Behr solid
Wood pride solid
Deckscapes solid
Deckscapes semi
Flood Solid
Olympic solid

I am probably most excited to observe timber pro uv and sikkens.

I have more fence boards left over and plan to gather more stain as it comes up. I have my eyes open for Thompsons, arbor coat, penofin, and more semis and translucent stains.

I am east of Toronto if you know anyone that could contribute to the test.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgive me for using behr, but here's a pic of behr translucent peeling. Though it did look really nice and glossy after application, it didn't last one winter.

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Lumber Plank

Behr may be the exception though... I have never seen thompsons peel, though they have recently changed their formula.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,332 Posts
Forgive me for using behr, but here's a pic of behr translucent peeling. Though it did look really nice and glossy after application, it didn't last one winter.

View attachment 116543

Behr may be the exception though... I have never seen thompsons peel, though they have recently changed their formula.
Any sealer should be a penetrating sealer i.e. messmer's, penofin, sikkens, twp, etc... Then it won't peel. Why would you use a top coat and expect it not to peel dealing with the elements?

Behr, Thompsons, and other garbage like that is not even worth a test.

·
GC/carpenter
43,949 Posts
I've never had a cap on a composite peel either, as a matter of fact I've never even seen it fade.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
In your description, you mentioned glossy. That is a pointer that the product sits on the surface, like a paint, and that is what you want to avoid. As deckhead says, it needs to penetrate and make sure you wipe off the excess.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any sealer should be a penetrating sealer i.e. messmer's, penofin, sikkens, twp, etc... Then it won't peel. Why would you use a top coat and expect it not to peel dealing with the elements?

Behr, Thompsons, and other garbage like that is not even worth a test.
I wouldn't knock Thompsons so fast, that is the only stain I haven't seen peel. Fade, mold, sure. Peel, not yet anyway.

Show me a deck anywhere in Ontario without a bad stain job. Where are they? What products are they using?

yada yada composite. Composite burns your feet. Yes composites can be great, as wood can be great in shaded areas or north east facing structures.

Behr and thompsons are worth the test. How couldn't they be? They are two of the best sellers around here.

Ship me some TWP, we'll see how it lasts through the winter. I think it would be worth a test.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In your description, you mentioned glossy. That is a pointer that the product sits on the surface, like a paint, and that is what you want to avoid. As deckhead says, it needs to penetrate and make sure you wipe off the excess.
I'm not defending behr in any way, I just apply stain as directed after cleaning, brightening and drying. It's glossy.

It is difficult for any consumer or contractor to see through the manufacturers claims and yield good results.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Well I'm in Toronto and your Behr sample almost looks like you took a picture of my deck...so when you figure out what works best...let me know and let me know what to strip my deck with.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've never had a cap on a composite peel either, as a matter of fact I've never even seen it fade.
Hey California, have you ever had to repair a damaged board? I have seen some damaged boards but have never had to repair one. Besides replacement, would you think auto body filler is the best solution?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I'm in Toronto and your Behr sample almost looks like you took a picture of my deck...so when you figure out what works best...let me know and let me know what to strip my deck with.
Try contacting behr. Dig through your receipts, hopefully you have a leftover can. They asked me to send in a can label and receipt, they credited me the purchase of a few gallons of behr stripper, behr cleaner/brightener, and new behr stain (which I promptly returned)

I'm no expert at deck finishing / stripping. It took me all day with a deck brush and power washer.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Munanbak said:
Hi guys, After witnessing many deck stains peel I thought I would go ahead and conduct my own test. I had some fence boards left over from last year and decided to gather all the stain samples I could. I visited local paint stores, and most were happy to provide samples, donate 'mistints' or charge a very small fee for my project. From top to bottom / left to right Behr semi transparent Sikkens (the penetrating one) (only a small sample) Timber pro uv Behr solid Wood pride solid Deckscapes solid Deckscapes semi Flood Solid Olympic solid I am probably most excited to observe timber pro uv and sikkens. I have more fence boards left over and plan to gather more stain as it comes up. I have my eyes open for Thompsons, arbor coat, penofin, and more semis and translucent stains. I am east of Toronto if you know anyone that could contribute to the test. What do you all think?

you better get some cutek from dave at deckmaster.ca then.

amazing stuff he delivers into toronto

·
Artist and not a curator
14,332 Posts
Try contacting behr. Dig through your receipts, hopefully you have a leftover can. They asked me to send in a can label and receipt, they credited me the purchase of a few gallons of behr stripper, behr cleaner/brightener, and new behr stain (which I promptly returned)

I'm no expert at deck finishing / stripping. It took me all day with a deck brush and power washer.
I wouldn't pressure wash the wood either... Not only will it streak with the cleaner but it will remove the soft grain, even it seen it take out some of the rays in quarter sawn ipe, then you'll be sanding.

Behr's is trash, Thompsons I've only seen clear so no reason to seal the exotics with it... No UV protection. If thompsons comes in something else you can try it but I still think it'll be a waste with some of the better sealers. Cabots is the only one I've even heard of thats somewhat okay at the big box stores and it wasn't impressive.

The people who use these products regularly will all tell you either sikkens, cetol, penofin, messmers, or twp are the only ones worthwhile. I know the guy from cutek says its gold but I stopped looking after twp and tried a copy of cutek, no comparison to twp.

Also when using a good oil like one of the above mentioned all you should need is a good washing with oxallic acid unless there's grease stains.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Munanbak said:
Try contacting behr. Dig through your receipts, hopefully you have a leftover can. They asked me to send in a can label and receipt, they credited me the purchase of a few gallons of behr stripper, behr cleaner/brightener, and new behr stain (which I promptly returned) I'm no expert at deck finishing / stripping. It took me all day with a deck brush and power washer.
I didn't build this. I bought existing.

If you get 2 gallons of samples...come on over and you can use my deck for your test experiment

·
Tall Moose
109 Posts
Chris - I've found for the Ottawa climate Sikkens SRD works great.It works exceptionally well on low decks w/ humidity issues. It fades quite nicely. After 2-3 years, I give the deck a quick wash and light sand - I sand the glossy spots till they're dull, then do only 1 coat. Get it nice and evenly stained, but pull off any excess. If it's thick in one spot it will kinda just gel on the surface. Gotta make sure to keep a wet edge and do only a couple boards at a time.

I'll swing by an old deck I did and get a pic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You might want to get a sample of the new Sansin DEC product. I used it a couple years ago and it's held up great. It's a penetrating water based semitransparent finish. Very low VOC's and brushes on nicely.....see if you can find some.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts