Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, we have to do a fireplace make over, pretty simple, will be mostly all drywall. I'm trying to put together the scope of work for the paperwork and am having a hard time coming up with the actual names for the parts of the fireplace trim. I search the Internet but really can't find anything.

Can anybody name these parts?

Thanks.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
D is a hearth...E might be considered part of the hearth too..I dunno'

·
Pro
681 Posts
Hi Mike,

I always called "D" the hearth as Jack says, "B" the header, "C" the surround (with legs and header), and "E" the raised hearth face. I'm not sure about "A", upper panels maybe?

Bill

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
A. Usually just called the "over piece"
B. Detail Board
C. Surround
D. Hearth
E. Hearth Base??? (That one's just a guess)

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I was always under the impression that the entire sum of all parts was the mantle.
At the top, you have the crown or cornice moulding.
The "overpiece" has also been referred to as wall panels or paneling.
Below that is the mantle shelf.
Supporting the shelf are legs, also referred to as Pilasters, which may or may not include Corbels.
Between the legs, you may have a header, or valance, or as someone else said "lintel".
Supporting the legs is the hearth, which may or may not include the riser.
This is the terminology typically used in my experience, hopefully it's helpful. I have had no luck so far in finding textbook terminology.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Looks like you pretty much got it down, Mike, - - I like to go with words that work, - - like (as already mentioned) overmantel for the top panels, - - pilasters rather than just legs (uggh), - - architrave or epistyle rather than just lintel, - - etc.,etc.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I'm with Tom on this one.
Definitely overmantel, pilasters,
and plinths.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like you pretty much got it down, Mike, - - I like to go with words that work, - - like (as already mentioned) overmantel for the top panels, - - pilasters rather than just legs (uggh), - - architrave or epistile rather than just lintel, - - etc.,etc.

Those are the money words!

architrave is worth at least an extra $100 bucks I can charge!!! :thumbsup:

:laughing:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Looks like you pretty much got it down, Mike, - - I like to go with words that work, - - like (as already mentioned) overmantel for the top panels, - - pilasters rather than just legs (uggh), - - architrave or epistile rather than just lintel, - - etc.,etc.
I thought the architrave referred to any flat face that sat above the pilasters. No?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Technically you are correct Jeremy, but it's also resting on the surround stiles or legs, and in Mike's rendition, it's arched.

Another definition of it yet is a top molding around an opening.

It's a flexible word, like Mike's price . . . :laughing:

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
"...The lintel or flat horizontal member which spans the space between columns; in classical architecture, the lowest member of an entablature..."

That is how I have always seen the architrave....so to me in order to be an architrave it has to rest on top of the columns/pilasters/piers....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts