Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I certainly don't mean what kind of car they drive. I mean how well it's kept as far as tool organization . If they have stuff haphazardly all over the place, are they a disorganized employee? Can you say the opposite for a well kept vehicle?

·
Super Moderator
29,246 Posts
No, not for me.

I grew up in the trades. I know a lot great carpenters who have chitty trucks with disorganized tools. I know several chitty tradesman with perfect tools and new pick ups.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Depends when i organize van it looks OK despite being an 01 ram van .
But when I am busy and tired at the end of a productive day I tend to throw everything in the back and go home.
If I have a early day I will reorganize
I will say I am far more efficient when everything is where it belongs :)

But I Would say look at his work habits,attitude and quality First because you can t always judge a book by its cover

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I have very little respect for a guy that works out of a mini van. The tools are always just thrown in the back. It's been my experience these are the guys always wanting to borrow tools.:censored:

·
GC/carpenter
44,231 Posts
If I didn't organize properly, I would not be able to keep track of everything I have or need for the job as well as I can when I'm organized. I make a better carpenter when I can use my day thinking about my work vs. Where things are or rather or not I even brought it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I can see both sides here, might lean to one side? If he has a truck/van, worker! A, car, I would be looking into things. Some GREAT are great! But ya need a truck to do the work! I have had ALL of the above!!!! My truck, is messy, cluttered, a MESS! BUT!!! I will say this, and don't want to pi$* anyone off, But to me " a clean truck, is someone that has to much free time on their hands" I don't have time/nor the money for a car wash!

·
GC/carpenter
44,231 Posts
I will also say, most good carpenters I've worked with, are well organized. I've seen good carpenters that are not organized but then again I've seems good carpenters that weren't reliable also.

·
Super Moderator
29,246 Posts
I have very little respect for a guy that works out of a mini van. The tools are always just thrown in the back. It's been my experience these are the guys always wanting to borrow tools.:censored:
:laughing:

Mini man Hater ! :laughing: Prejudice :jester:

I don't like vans at all. We have truck boxes and trailers.

I did buy a one ton van for my painter. He gets what he wants primarily. I love him like family....:whistling or I don't want him to quit because I would be doing patches and touch up....:jester::laughing:

·
Super Moderator
29,246 Posts
It's not hard to be organized. I tell my hands any tools I loan you throughout the day goes on my tailgate, or I'll kill you.

I put my tools up.

I make them organize the trailers and trucks every Friday at two.

Shop......:whistling:laughing:

Reactions: bob hutson

·
GC/carpenter
44,231 Posts
Dave in Pa said:
I can see both sides here, might lean to one side? If he has a truck/van, worker! A, car, I would be looking into things. Some GREAT are great! But ya need a truck to do the work! I have had ALL of the above!!!! My truck, is messy, cluttered, a MESS! BUT!!! I will say this, and don't want to pi$* anyone off, But to me " a clean truck, is someone that has to much free time on their hands" I don't have time/nor the money for a car wash!
Someone who doesn't have enough free time is someone that doesn't organize their time properly. Time management is an art. I find being less organized causes me to not have as much time. What are you doing now? If you have time to post you have too much free time.

·
Super Moderator
29,246 Posts
Someone who doesn't have enough free time is someone that doesn't organize there time properly. Time management is an art. I find being less organized causes me to not have as much time. What are you doing now? If you have time to post you have too much free time.
I agree.

BUT, on days or weeks I work 15 hours or 90 hours, the box and cab look good...... the bed looks like chit. Wheel barrows, beam saw, chain saw, auger, trash...... ect...

That was friday. Hence I had like two posts this week before yesterday.

·
GC/carpenter
44,231 Posts
I get to make the rules, I don't work weekends. I suddenly got slammed the last week and the weeks ahead. I still don't work weekends. Probably because of what I do. I have no other trades behind me. My HO's like to have there weekends without construction as well.

·
Super Moderator
29,246 Posts
I get to make the rules, I don't work weekends. I suddenly got slammed the last week and the weeks ahead. I still don't work weekends. Probably because of what I do. I have no other trades behind me. My HO's like to have there weekends without construction as well.
I rarely work weekends on projects. I cleaned my truck out, moved material around in my equipment/material yard and painted the new steel gates I built for it while my daughter played in my sand pile yesterday.

Then I shot a pig. Now there is a blood stain in the bed, have to wash it out tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
29,246 Posts
My dad has always had a super organized pick up and shop. He bitches when something is misplaced or "borrowed" from his cabinet in the shop.

"I've had it there for 25 years....."

Reactions: TxElectrician
1 - 20 of 200 Posts