Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am remodelling a bathroom and the contractor already put sheetrock in the shower area. Pic attached. He says that we can hot mop over the sheet rock to waterproof. But i have not seen any info on if that is possible. doing a sanity check if this is okay to do and is durable

or what should i do thanks

Harry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Clayton does my answer below meet your credential requirment to answer a simple question.

let me revise my answer in detail rather than one liner i posted. so there are not subsequent question on my eligibility. since forum are meant to exchange and enhance knowlege. plummber and handyman services by trade, got my license recently expanding out in the business.

Homeowner was piece mealing the remodel. Previous guy quit, homeowenr has limited budget. Previous guy put sheet rock first with the hot mop to follow. I am asking this question to keep his cost low if it is doable and is a common practice. otherwise we will have to cut off the bottom of the sheet rockto hotmop and replace and redguard it before tiling. I am trying to keep cost low if doable otherwise it is mote time and effort...

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
There is a lot of useful information on here, and a lot of guys will help you if you are who you say you are. One of your first lessons is that the homeowner is not always right and it is your job as the professional to explain to them the proper way of building a shower. Let them pick colors and tile and whatever else they want. If they do not want or like your design input, so what, but they should never, under any circumstances, dictate building practices. It is your job to do the job right.

A lot of us have different opinions on what right is, especially with tile. I prefer Schluter, others do not, but we all agree that waterproofing using accepted practices is the only way to do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
understood. Hence i am asking a question to align with good practice. i could have done ajob not acceptable or meet code. the reason i ma here is to ask questions and experience people can give me there knowledge so i am well linformed in providing that guidance as a professional. Just because people have 25 30 years of expericence is by doing and asking the right questions..am i right or were all these guys born with it.

Its called common sense and logic. i wouldnt be here if that wasnt the case

·
Registered
480 Posts
Permits ?
Signed waiver Holding You Harmless ?
But then again your Licensed Right ?
Not sure of the code where you are but isn't Drywall in a wet area no go?
If you Are licensed couldn't they File a complaint against you if it Fails?
I would Say Check the code before you agree to do this , You could get yourself into trouble

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
No drywall in a wet area----there are a few exceptions---but I doubt if hot mop is one of them.

Go to your local jurisdiction and read the codes----

Remember, you are in the liability loop for your work---and all damage caused by its failure.

I suggest you do it the best way or let someone else do it.

Risk versus reward----why put yourself in jeopardy to save him money?

·
Remodeler
320 Posts
I am remodelling a bathroom and the contractor already put sheetrock in the shower area. Pic attached. He says that we can hot mop over the sheet rock to waterproof. But i have not seen any info on if that is possible. doing a sanity check if this is okay to do and is durable

or what should i do thanks

Harry
You gotta admit, that dosen't sound a question a qualified GC would ask. Kind of like "how do you hammer a nail". No offense but these great pro's can be merciless at times. Good luck:thumbsup:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
But the guy at home depot said it's ok as long as I use the green stuff...

·
Eater of sins.
4,684 Posts
I am not sure but I think that green board as an under-layment is still OK by code in Calif. I will have to check that out tonight.
Not that I would recommend it or think that it is in anyway a good thing to do though.
Regular drywall is not a code viable option in any way in a shower area. Even if it were it should not be done by a professional.
Leave that kind of crap/hack work to the DIYs.
If you as a licensed pro leave that kind of thing on a job you touch and it goes to pot (and it will) you are then liable for it. For ten years.

Andy.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts