Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year All!

Had a talk with a guy in my HVAC class and he was saying after the class he was going to get his plumbing lic. and start a plumbing and HVAC co.

Is this possible? How can you just go get a lic. is it that simple as take a test and your lic? I thought the only way to be a lic plumber was to go through some kind of apprenticeship, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks
Stewart*Chicago :rolleyes:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Stewart,
Is he going into the union?

Tim

·
Registered
318 Posts
You can still go union and be an independant contractor - especially in plumbing in Chicagoland. A buddy of mine who's a plumber - actually do you guys know Ozinga Concrete? His daughter married one of their sons not too long ago. Anyway he explained the process to me about 2 weeks ago but I've since forgotten it.

Tim

·
Registered
318 Posts
Stewart,
FYI - I just ran across a company in Riverside that is a combination plumbing and hvac company. My guess is that the high amount of radiant heating systems in Chicagoland may be the reason companies like this are around.

Tim

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Listen to me carefully..In 1980 I took a friend down to springfield Illinois to get his license for plumbing. He just go on the job training from his father. He said it was so easy it couldn't believe it. I don't no if the rules have change this being so many years ago. Contact the Illinois Department of professional regulation. All license in state are issued through them. They have a website so you can get there mailing address and ask them the question you have posted here. This way you will get the answer from the department who will issue the license. GOOD LUCK!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts