Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This sink is on a counter with 2 other sinks. The customer wants me to patch it. "Corian Countertop"

I would rather replace, it's maybe 25 years old and the owners just cheep. Not because I can charge more but because I take pride in what I do

Any suggestions on a repair kit please let me know

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
cost you more to repair than replace it
How do you figure that?

Double bowl corian vanity top is probably just over $1000
Fixing corian is usually $275

If the customer is cheap they will not do either one anyway :no:

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
How do you figure that?

Double bowl corian vanity top is probably just over $1000
Fixing corian is usually $275

If the customer is cheap they will not do either one anyway :no:

oops, didn't have my glasses on, I thought that was an undermount porclaine sink. doh!
:whistling

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
This sink is on a counter with 2 other sinks. The customer wants me to patch it. "Corian Countertop"

I would rather replace, it's maybe 25 years old and the owners just cheep. Not because I can charge more but because I take pride in what I do

Any suggestions on a repair kit please let me know

Thanks
I take on a lot of odd repairs, but I think of some jobs like this: Figuring that I won't find a good and "cheap" (enough) solution (I know better by now)...that a "cheap" somebody is willing to PAY reasonable $$$ for...and figuring I'm taking a chance on the repair anyhow....I pass on those certain repairs. Sure, I might experiment with it for my own curiosity, but it's not worth taking on otherwise. Even if you do a good job, they won't truly appreciate the effort you put into it.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Only a certified corian installer can buy the stuff needed to fix it

Only a Corian certified installer can possibly guarantee the repair ... if they'd do it.

However corian compatible and matching adhesives are available, just have to look on the web.

Hardest part of a repair like that is blending the patch/crack fill to match the bowl, then obtaining the proper/uniform sheen

·
Kowboy
2,465 Posts
rservices:

I've had some success repairing these cracks, but replacement is the better option.

Get some peroxide from the beauty supply store. You can buy up to #40 without a cosmetologists license; that's the stuff I use. Soak the contaminated crack for as long as you want to fool with it. Maybe cover it with Saran wrap to slow evaporation. Rinse with Acetone.

After decontamination and drying, mix some some nail polish that's about the same color as the bowl with some thin super glue. Push the colored glue into the crack and pound/vibrate it in. If the crack goes all the way through, you may be able to suck it in with a shop vac. When it's full, spray the mix with super glue accelerant and it will set almost immediately. Sand off the excess and refinish the bowl with progressively finer grits, ending with a red or gray Scotchbrite pad.

I'd lay some epoxy putty on the back of the bowl to stop it from leaking too.

Joe

P.S.: Regular methelmethacrylate solid surface adhesive is much too thick for this. Forget it.

·
Kowboy
2,465 Posts
Only a Corian certified installer can possibly guarantee the repair ... if they'd do it.
I've been repairing this stuff for over 15 years and never guarantee any repair. That's like asking an auto body man to guarantee that you'll never go to the grocery store parking lot again.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Is it leaking? If so, just tell them to replace it. It's not worth your time and aggravation to screw with it. If it's just a cosmetic issue, and you want to learn how to repair Corian, you can find repair kits on the innertoobs.

You mentioned they're cheap - RUN, RUN AWAY! People like that will nickle and dime you to death wanting something for nothing. And then when you do a $1000 job for $200, and don't make it PERFECT, they will bash you to everyone they know. IE - No referrals. Sometimes you need to stick to your guns and insist on a good product, although that's hard when you're hungry. Good luck.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great post Kowboy.
to much work for me, All I need to do is do it wrong and they make me replace the sink at my cost.

To often I have heard "Any thing you can do is better than what it is" then after "If you couldn't do it perfect why did you do it at all"

Some people must thing this is court ordered community service or something, I expect to get paid for my time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No.....!
Depending on what type of sink self-rimming or under mount plus a new pop-up assembly, maybe p-trap.

Sink= 58.00 (whole sale)
Pop-up= 15.00
P-Trap (abs) = 2.00
80.00 + Labor

To try and consider repairing I would not, plus there is no way to give the owner a guaranty plus this would come to haunt you if you if you attempted to repair a crack in a china sink.

If you had a cracked engine block would you just put JB Weld on it and keep driving it...?

·
Registered
Custom
13,687 Posts
The location of that crack is not a good place for repair... almost guaranteed to happen again... and then you'll end up doing what you should have done in the first place...

The proper repair for this is to remove the bowl and replace it with another...

It's not that hard to do, just time consuming, but you definitely want a certified Corian guy to do it...

This video will give you an idea (although he could have saved a lot of sanding by using a roundover bit first)...

As far as the customer goes and being cheap, simply tell him he has an expensive top, and that any repair is guaranteed to cost them to do it right... don't shy away from it...

·
Registered
Custom
13,687 Posts
Plbgbutcrack:

I don't know where you're getting your numbers, but the router bit alone required to remove that bowl is $140.00: http://www.wesleytools.com/item.asp?sku=10244&group=4+Wing+Bowl+Cut+Out&grpid=169

Good acrylic sinks are about $90.00 and my butt doesn't touch my truck seat for less than a 3-hour minimum, which is considerably more than $80.00.
If I was the customer being charged a three-hour minimum :)thumbsup:, BTW), I think I'd rather pay the extra $90 for the bowl than keep one that was cracked and repaired and has no guarantee...

The bit should already be in your box if you do repairs...

If you are Certified Corian, you are supposed to warranty your work...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts