Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can see, the last 3-4 inches of this adjustable threshold turns up and we can’t get the door closed. I’ve tried adjusting – no joy! I’ve tried beating it down – no joy! I’ve tried to remove with a pry bar and it appears it interlocks with the aluminum part.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
27,606 Posts
Pic wont open for me on my phone. Never had that issue. Is it the kind with the four bolts for adjustment?

Maybe remove the plastic threshold and rip on the table saw. Or cut off bolts, drill out, and set with new bolts in concrete epoxy.

·
Super Moderator
27,606 Posts
Or else recess the threshold, R2 the doorstops.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,937 Posts
I managed to take one of those apart a few years ago, but danged if I can remember the details. :sad:

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
It looks like its been rubbing to tight on the hinge side too for a long time.

I'd maybe try to put a long screw 3 to 4 inches into the top hinge and see if that helps pulling up on the door to aleviate some of the drag.

Then to address the curl - jump out maybe 3/4" drill and countersink a spot for one more screw - put the screw in and suck it down.

Do both of those things and you'll be in like flin, and all you need is a couple screws and a cordless drill :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
27,606 Posts
I wish I could see the pic, damnit.

Just a guess, but I imagine Paul put a long screw in it.

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
looks like an old install - and the board curls pretty good - thinking he might not have, dunno :laughing:

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
The ones I have dealt with, if you were to continue unscrewing the screws they will release from the threaded collars underneath. Then it may take a touch of prying to get it out. Order a new one and your in business.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
210 Posts
The screws are locked into the adjustable wooden threashold and then screw down into an aluminum piece on the bottom. If the screws aren't stripped out, then just keep screwing them out a little at a time until the wooden strip is released. I, however, do not think you will be able to reuse the wooden strip. I just can't imagine that you could straighten out a piece that's that warped. You will have to make you a new one and then you wont be able to adjust it like the factory piece, so you'll have to, by trial and error, keep shimming the new wooden strip until it's good. THEN... put in new screws to hold it down. But remember, use stainless screws, or they will rust out in now time and you'll be screwed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys ! It’s a pool house (on a concrete pad). No way to send another screw in to suck it down.

I’ve put all my 200 lbs on this end (ok 211 lbs) - but it don’t budge.

I’ve run the screws down through the adjustable piece – thinking it would come out – but it appears to be locked in (in profile imagine two “Js” – one upside down that interlock). When I put the pry bar on it, I think the whole threshold will come with it (I don’t want that to happen).

I thought about “adjusting” the hinges to tilt the door a bit, but the reveals look really good – if not too tight already.

Now, I’m thinking about just taking my belt sander as close as I can to the jamb/stop, then using the multi tool to shave close to the jamb (where the belt sander can’t reach).

It’s amazing – this is a $400k project and this little POS is causing me to look for help :wallbash:

·
Super Moderator
27,606 Posts
Can you mortise the hinges.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Aren't those screws reverse thread?
Not that I remember, no, but it's been a while since I had to mess with one, so I wouldn't bet either way.

The last time I had to mess with one was when I had a door going on a concrete slab and I had to remove the wood so I could drill the base to use anchors. In this case, the screws were new and it was easy peazy on that job. Older screws can give you a fit.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've had several of these replaced on new builds as they always seem to get scratched. The service tech from my door supplier would just unscrew it and replace it with a new piece.

Perhaps those screws are indeed reverse thread or just tight with junk in the threads.

·
Super Moderator
27,606 Posts
I've had several of these replaced on new builds as they always seem to get scratched. The service tech from my door supplier would just unscrew it and replace it with a new piece.

Perhaps those screws are indeed reverse thread or just tight with junk in the threads.
Wrap with Ramboard and remove the seal from the door, or cover in Blue tape. Keeps from being scratched MOST of the time. I generally use a temp door as well.

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
why can't you use a hammer drill and go into the slab and inch or two ??

Then send in a screw - hmmm

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CCCo. I’ve put my weight on this thing and beat on it with a hammer – she’s not going down! I suspect a screw would strip in the concrete before it moves this piece. Just my gut feeling.

I believe this piece is composit (maybe PVC). The head would also suck through - before it sucked down.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts