Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had a residential customer 1099 them? How do they do that without your tax I'd # ? And can they 1099 if the property is a rental that you worked on?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Has anyone ever had a residential customer 1099 them? How do they do that without your tax I'd # ? And can they 1099 if the property is a rental that you worked on?
I get asked for ein from our commercial jobs and every once in a while from a business owner. Never got one from a residential job. The rental is a business so I cant see why not. If they Don't have your ein does it really make a difference??

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a strange email, not that it's bad just wondering what it's all about.

Here it is, I'm taking the names out to protect the innocent. :laughing: My question is shouldn't I of filled out a w-9 for this? Because they never requested one.

Hi Mike,

I am working on our taxes and trying to get a final accounting of how much we spent on the house in 2013. Do you have a record of the total we paid you, including the fence? I have a grand total of $139,194.45. That includes checks made to MLW Construction and to ................ Does this agree with your records?

The house is renting well so far and everyone loves it. Our contractor friend who stayed there thought that your work was excellent.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ohiohomedoctor said:
It's too late anyways. Just mail it back..
They didn't send it yet. But your right I didn't think about that, it has to be mailed by jan. 31, I think. But that doesn't stop them from claiming the payments, not that it matters I just need to check that I claimed all the money properly. I've got a call out to my bookkeeper. Of course we all claim everything it's the right thing to do.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
I don't get the point of 1099 really. It's not like a check written in my business name can be deposited anywhere else other than the business.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They made some of the checks to my personal name. She wrote them to me, he wrote them to my company. They sent them in the mail. But if I remember right they were all deposited into my business account. I'm checking with my bookkeeper to make sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This happened to me where my company and 4 others did work for a customer, on his personal home, who owned an excavation company. None of us received 1099's although he said we did and filed a fraudulent tax return which when he got caught it triggered an audit to the other 5 companies. When I called all he could say was, "I am sorry Everett I screwed up, I am really sorry." What do you say after that? No matter what you do I would dot my "I's" and cross my "T's" because it was told to me that 1099's are more closely scrutinized and usually lead to other issues.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Some landlords send out 1099s and some don't.

Some CPAs say you landlords have to send them out and some CPAs say landlords don't have to send them out.

I'm in the camp that says Landlords are investors and they are not in business so they don't have to send out 1099s.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I don't understand what a 1099 is.
If you gave them a invoice for the work you did, would that not be sufficient?

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My plumber gives me an invoice I still 1099 him. It's the law, on anything over 600 bucks. But I'm not sure how that works with a rental property

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
C. When To File
File Forms 1097, 1098, 1099, 3921, 3922, or W-2G on paper
by March 2, 2015, or March 31, 2015, if filing electronically.
Also file Form 1096 with paper forms. File Form 1096 with
Forms 5498, 5498-ESA, and 5498-SA by June 1, 2015

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
It's been my understanding that if your sub is incorporated, you're not required to give them a 1099. That's how it works for me here, as a sub. I think it's because of corporate banking regs.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I got a 1099 from a residential customer before but they wrote the check from their business account. Even thou the roof I did had nothing to do with their business.

I read awhile back that in IL ,starting 2012 that all Landlords must send out 1099 to all workers they pay over $600

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
stombaugh85 said:
I got a 1099 from a residential customer before but they wrote the check from their business account. Even thou the roof I did had nothing to do with their business. I read awhile back that in IL ,starting 2012 that all Landlords must send out 1099 to all workers they pay over $600
Isn't 1099's federal?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts