Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the deal with these and code reqirements? As I understand it I must be able to access all my junction boxes. When I install my can lights using the bars that go across my ceiling joists I won't be able to get at the boxes after the ceiling is dry walled. Will that be a problem?

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Most cans have three tech screws on the inside, remove the screws and the whole can slides out of the hanger, then reach through the whole to get to the box.

Be sure all your insulation or other combustable material stays at least two inces from the can.

Bob

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
fabiano said:
What's the deal with these and code reqirements?
The first Electrical Code was put in place in 1897. It is updated every three years, and it put there for your protection and the protection of your neighbors and loved ones. That's the deal.
fabiano said:
As I understand it I must be able to access all my junction boxes.
Yes, you understand correctly. All junction boxes must remain accessable.
fabiano said:
When I install my can lights using the bars that go across my ceiling joists I won't be able to get at the boxes after the ceiling is dry walled.
Not true. Every recessed light fixture can be removed through the hole in the drywall. The "can" of the recessed fixture is held in the plaster frame from the inside with wing nuts or tek screws. When you remove the fasteners, you can slide the can out of the hole and reach in and service the juction box if need be. You might notice that's why the "can" is connected to the juction box from the factory with a little piece of flex conduit.
fabiano said:
Will that be a problem?
Nope, no problem exists. See above.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts