Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: I work for a company that is using my lisence and they have made me the Electrical Service Manager. They want me to help build there electrical business. They are offering $50k a year.

Does this sound worth it?

·
Electrical Contractor
744 Posts
How big is this company? How long have you been doing this? I would not do it with mine. Took to much time to get and could be too easy to loose if you are not in control of what is being done with it! JMO

·
Registered
386 Posts
License

Bsecdone said:
:eek: I work for a company that is using my lisence and they have made me the Electrical Service Manager. They want me to help build there electrical business. They are offering $50k a year.

Does this sound worth it?
IMO-
You should get 80k and have full controll of all the electrical projects in order to protect your license. In a sense you would and should be a company running within their company.
Just a thought. :cheesygri

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I'd look at it this way:

- How much could you be making if you used your license to run your own business?
- What services does the "company" provide that you'd have to provide yourself if you were running your own show? How much are those services worth in time and/or money?
- Do you have control over what is/isn't done under your license? If not, are you comfortable with the fact that your license is at risk based on other people's decisions?

Given all that, $50k seems like it's not enough- but that's just my take. If you're happy with it after weighing the answers to the questions I pose, that's cool.

Bob

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that I think about it, it does suck. I have thought about starting my own business. But, it is a little scary. Can't be any scarier than what I do now. I just makes me a little nervous looking for the work myself.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Tell me about it- try going from a corporate job making over $150k a year with full benefits, 401K, etc., and considering opening a one-man interior remodeling company. Or better yet, try to convince your wife that it's a "good idea"......lol.

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
:party: hi I actually have a master electrical license for the state of north carolina. would you interesting in using itquote=Bsecdone;34747]:eek: I work for a company that is using my lisence and they have made me the Electrical Service Manager. They want me to help build there electrical business. They are offering $50k a year.

Does this sound worth it?[/quote]

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi out there, I actually have a electrical license for the state of north carolina and I would like to find a company that want to use it. please can you give any ideas

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Tell me about it- try going from a corporate job making over $150k a year with full benefits, 401K, etc., and considering opening a one-man interior remodeling company. Or better yet, try to convince your wife that it's a "good idea"......lol.

Bob
Don't do it Bob! Your wife is going to have unlimited, no expiration date..." I told you you shoulda' never quit that job"...ooops, it's already too late.:whistling

At least you should have the estimating thing down pretty well...:thumbsup:

J

·
Registered
906 Posts
IMO-
You should get 80k and have full controll of all the electrical projects in order to protect your license. In a sense you would and should be a company running within their company.
Just a thought. :cheesygri
Or, to make it more interesting for the company, $50K plus a percentage of all jobs, with the license holder overseeing all work. That way failure to perform doesn't guarantee a salary, but top performance does.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't do it Bob! Your wife is going to have unlimited, no expiration date..." I told you you shoulda' never quit that job"...ooops, it's already too late.:whistling

At least you should have the estimating thing down pretty well...:thumbsup:

J
hi jf, I have a electrical license and at this moment I am looking for a individual or company that want to use it. can you give an idea what can i do.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
In this State it makes it YOUR job. Your ins. will take the hits if 'their guys' do anything that results in a lawsuit.

Personally, I wouldn't allow anyone to work under my license. I also know of a few guys with a license that do nothing other than stamp projects and make a good living doing that and nothing else. I guess the end result is 'how far out do you want to stick your neck?'. The longer it is, the more apt it is to be cut off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In this State it makes it YOUR job. Your ins. will take the hits if 'their guys' do anything that results in a lawsuit.

Personally, I wouldn't allow anyone to work under my license. I also know of a few guys with a license that do nothing other than stamp projects and make a good living doing that and nothing else. I guess the end result is 'how far out do you want to stick your neck?'. The longer it is, the more apt it is to be cut off.
thank you for the advice, but at this moment I can not start myself, so can you give me an idea.

·
4,617 Posts
Omar,

Perhaps you should start you own thread. You're getting confused answers here, because folks are addressing the posts that are over two years old.

I'm going to close this one down for the sake of sanity.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.