Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had a shower pan and one of my workers did the mortar bed and it do not looks to good i made have to redo it, or do you know if i can use cement backer board on top of the mortar bed before laying the tile. nothing wrong with the slope, i asking because i saw a tile setter do it that way in one of the do it yourself videos, please advice. thank you :cool:

·
Registered
137 Posts
If I am understanding you correctly the simple answer is NO! Are you saying that you did a pre slope and than a liner and then a mud bed on top of the liner. You are not going to be able to get the backer board to follow the contours of the slope to the drain and even if you could you won't be able to attach it properly. Backer board is not meant to be used for that purpose.

Don't take this the wrong way but if you can ask that question then the job up to this point probably isn't done properly.

How is the drain connected to the waterproof membrane?

Do a Google search for "John Bridge tile forum" it's a forum devoted to anything to do with tile.

regards,

Bruce Hawkins

·
Registered
63 Posts
Its $12 worth of sand and Portland cement, if that much. Why take a chance on wrecking the ceiling underneath or even ruining the structure of the floor altogether? Break it out as gently as you can, leak test it by plugging the drain and making sure no water leaves the pan, and then put in a new setting bed. If its just a couple of dips, you can fix that with a little extra thinset.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts