Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I trim around a wall dent only to discover that I make big hole in one copper pipe (3/4 wide pipe, 1/16 was hole). Owner of house fixed it with 2" sleeve but we discover that I did another hole with 15 gage nail at another of that two 3/4 pipes. Hole is like 6" away from sleeve that someone else set who know when. Is it OK for code to use a 8" sleeve (or how is name of pipe that go ower other pipe) so I can have only 2 joints instead of 4 (with 8" pipe I can cut out old sleeve). Please respond till tomorrow so I can do something about it. First time when will be plumbing curse for 60$ around I will go there.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
tipitop said:
Yesterday I trim around a wall dent only to discover that I make big hole in one copper pipe (3/4 wide pipe, 1/16 was hole). Owner of house fixed it with 2" sleeve but we discover that I did another hole with 15 gage nail at another of that two 3/4 pipes. Hole is like 6" away from sleeve that someone else set who know when. Is it OK for code to use a 8" sleeve (or how is name of pipe that go owner other pipe) so I can have only 2 joints instead of 4 (with 8" pipe I can cut out old sleeve). Please respond till tomorrow so I can do something about it. First time when will be plumbing curse for 60$ around I will go there.
You type the way my father texts....

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I have no idea what you said but replace the pipe.

Reactions: rex

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no idea what you said but replace the pipe.
Sorry for my English. Can I use a 8” repair pipe (one that have ID = OD of 3/4 pipe that I make hole in). How much is maximum for such sleeve pipe. I read just at internet that exist 12” long. I plan to cut 6” of original pipe. Replacement of complete 3/4 pipe will not work as is like 12’ long and finish somewhere in bathroom at second floor. I do this work 15 years and did only one hole so far and yesterday I make two, hole making production increase of 50 000%.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Sorry for my English. Can I use a 8” repair pipe (one that have ID = OD of 3/4 pipe that I make hole in). How much is maximum for such sleeve pipe. I read just at internet that exist 12” long. I plan to cut 6” of original pipe. Replacement of complete 3/4 pipe will not work as is like 12’ long and finish somewhere in bathroom at second floor. I do this work 15 years and did only one hole so far and yesterday I make two, hole making production increase of 50 000%.
I don't think there is a limit but that being said I think they are only sold in 12" lengths.

You could always cut the pipe and see if there is enough wiggle room to use two couplers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
do yourself a favor and call in a licensed plumber to make the repair. If its not done right it could come back to bite you. Will probably take a decent plumber less than 30 minuets for a solid, permanent, and code worthy repair. Patches on water piping is not allowed, especially if its to be closed up in a wall.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,511 Posts
I think that you put a hole in a 3/4" copper pipe, and want to know how to fix it, using some kind of repair coupling or sleeve.

If I'm right so far, I'll continue.

You can do 1 of 3 things.

1-Get 1 repair, or no-stop, coupling, and 1 standard, plus a short length of pipe, and solder.

2-Get a repair sleeve. They come up to 12", or that's the longest I've seen them. You still must cut out the damaged pipe, it's just easier than 2 couplings and pipe.

Pipe may not be patched. It must be cut out and replaced.

3-Hire a plumber to do this repair for you. If you don't have a fair amount of experience soldering, I would not recommend you do your first on a clients house. Poorly made joints have blown apart and/or leaked, sometimes months after the soldering was done.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think that you put a hole in a 3/4" copper pipe, and want to know how to fix it, using some kind of repair coupling or sleeve.

If I'm right so far, I'll continue.

You can do 1 of 3 things.

1-Get 1 repair, or no-stop, coupling, and 1 standard, plus a short length of pipe, and solder.

2-Get a repair sleeve. They come up to 12", or that's the longest I've seen them. You still must cut out the damaged pipe, it's just easier than 2 couplings and pipe.

Pipe may not be patched. It must be cut out and replaced.

3-Hire a plumber to do this repair for you. If you don't have a fair amount of experience soldering, I would not recommend you do your first on a clients house. Poorly made joints have blown apart and/or leaked, sometimes months after the soldering was done.
Tanks for answer, this at others. I will go with 12" sleeve and cut it to 8". Owner investor is good with soldering. We fixed already first pipe that I drill hole in with 3" finish GDR screw. Second pipe that I make hole with 15g finish nail will get this longer pipe. I respect plumber but really need not hire him for such light duty job.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
do yourself a favor and call in a licensed plumber to make the repair. If its not done right it could come back to bite you. Will probably take a decent plumber less than 30 minuets for a solid, permanent, and code worthy repair. Patches on water piping is not allowed, especially if its to be closed up in a wall.
Stunning is that I did hole with 3” screw for good. Without it and massive leaking of water I would not spot tiny hole that I make with 15G nail. I didn’t know till this week that I can make hole in copper pipe with one of my finish guns.
If I would not discovered little one I would have to come back, and flooring guys would have to come beck and I would pay them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts