Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pro wrestling ring repair I am looking at. It has 1 1/2" diameter round 16' long tubular steel pipes.

After 30yrs of grown men being slammed around, the pipes are warped pretty badly. We are talking a 10" drop in center from edges.

I was thinking of heating to glowing red & pressing them back straight. But honestly i dont know how i would unbend them.

Is this a lost cause?

·
Contractor
7,675 Posts
How about a 6x6 and a hydraulic jack. You will have to over bend them, but I think the heat will weaken the pipe.

There could be a few other ways to skin this cat, but as asked above...any pictures?

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right no pics until I disassemble next month. I can climb under and snap a few pics tomorow, but I doubt they will show anything.

The ring is designed so that the cross members have zero support in the center to flex.

I was thinking of heating to cherry red and use clamps to rebend them slowly. However I am worried about metal fatigue.

For the wrestling fans: Evansville, IN coliseum wrestling company. Lawler, Junk yard dog, C.M. punk, Jake roberts, Jim duggan, etc... have wrestled many matches in this very ring. It has a rich history, & I am donating the repairs out of my own pocket to keep it active.

I will be installing new plywood, maybe new polypropylene foam if I can find it, new turnbuckle pads & permanently attaching the crossmember bars.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
If you have an end open, you can pack the tube with masons sand and then heat and bend, it will keep it from crushing during the bending process. Generally, once tubing is bent, there is no practical way to get it back and it will never have its original strength.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
A 10" sag on 1 1/2" on 16 ft isn't very much. It should be ok to straighten. You need to hold each end firmly with c clamps or something similar, & them use a jack to push the center past straight maybe 4" or so. It might take more, but you need to sneek up on it.To do this, finding a place to set up the press is the key. It won't take much force, so any overhead I-beam, or floor, should be adequate for the force needed.

It's a lot of guessing, & trial, & error to get straight, but I suspect it doesn't need to be perfect.
Joe

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,706 Posts
Flip it over. It'll take twice as long to bend this time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Be careful about heating to cherry red, this means you are above the upper critical temperature of the steel and are weakening it likely resulting in fracture, excess brittleness, or other unwanted warpage.

In other words there is a method of heat straightening steel but if you are getting to cherry red you are too hot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts