Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
“I do, but many people don’t like the surcharge I have to add for servicing your area.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Around here nowadays 690k + is a basic home around 2,800 SF in a middle-class neighborhood on a 50x100/150' lot, when you building a home in that price range there is a list of items that everything comes with the home and allowances on kitchen and flooring. If they want anything upgraded, all upgrades are paid up-front and it's very simple, you have it or you don't and you move on. Such homes are also built on the schedule... A customer has a certain time period to select an item they want to upgrade... If they cannot do this at this time or try to give you a hard time, per contract I can install the builder grade component specified on the list and keep the schedule. Also any delay in closing, etc. due to a customer fault, a charge of $150 per day until the closing takes place.
A home that size from the foundation stage to closing I can have it done in 6-8 months depending on weather, etc now probably longer with Covid, etc but since Covid hit I closed the shop until this blows over, brought an apartment in Florida been flying back and forth so I'm not sure how long it would take to build a home under current circumstances.

Don't give them any reason to complain 😅
On a 690 K$ home you need to double your penalty amount, more if interest rates/ inflation increase.......run a spreadsheet.... :unsure:

Re: original post: as long as the area not served is based on financial reasons and not any protected group under our Civil rights laws and regs... drive On.

Around here I give any project that is on or under the 100 year projected flood levels a double check for financing/ insurability. No interest in project that will NEVER be eligible for any first tier mortgages.

·
General Contractor
8,081 Posts
Where'd you buy at? You're ocean side correct?
Yes, I'm right on the ocean in Hollandale Beach between Hollywood and Golden Beach... I walk out of the building right onto a pool deck, a few steps down from the deck and you on the beach.

·
General Contractor
8,081 Posts
On a 690 K$ home you need to double your penalty amount, more if interest rates/ inflation increase.......run a spreadsheet.... :unsure:

Re: original post: as long as the area not served is based on financial reasons and not any protected group under our Civil rights laws and regs... drive On.

Around here I give any project that is on or under the 100 year projected flood levels a double check for financing/ insurability. No interest in project that will NEVER be eligible for any first tier mortgages.
In 30 years I never had to deal with a penalty, this is just a stipulation so nobody gets any idea of delaying the closing.

·
General Contractor
8,081 Posts
About the same here, 2800- 3000 ft is 600- 700k plus the lot.

Some clients no problems, they pick with in allowances but I get lots of people moving here who think it's cheap to build here and it's not, to them a 600k house is expensive to me, like you said your in median range. Gerkin, Milgard, Showcase windows, standard Kitchen Aide, 1% for lighting, 75 a sq ft for quartz etc.... and wifey wants Thermador, Anderson 400 or Marvin windows, 100 a sq ft counters, etc... and slows the process down and it's a struggle dealing with every time I turn around, much less the cost of a change order like I said.

I didn't enjoy the experiment into median custom homes. If I do more of them they will be on spec.

If it's slow **** it I'll build a bird house lol
I hear you, husbands writing checks no questions asked and their wife becomes your second wife for the duration of construction. I love extras, some use to call me the "king of extras" lol.
I did 65% of new homes on spec and I love it... I design and build everything, my wife picks tiles, etc, and she is having fun doing it... she is also a realtor so she sells all the homes and I collect from both ends. Don't get better than that.

·
The Dude
2,388 Posts
I hear you, husbands writing checks no questions asked and their wife becomes your second wife for the duration of construction. I love extras, some use to call me the "king of extras" lol.
I did 65% of new homes on spec and I love it... I design and build everything, my wife picks tiles, etc, and she is having fun doing it... she is also a realtor so she sells all the homes and I collect from both ends. Don't get better than that.
That does sound like a lot of fun! I wouldn't put my wife on picking tiles / colors and things, she has some odd tastes - but it still would be cool! I've never built one from the ground up, only purchase / resto / sell. I'm up in Palm Beach in Loxahatchee, was in Jupiter Farms. The Juno dog beach is "my beach".

I bought this place just in the nick of time. As far as the house goes, it's "barely adequate". Bought for 282 in 2018, and it went through refi without appraisal at almost 400k a few months ago. It's a super basic 1350sf cbs house with gable roof, flat over a 12x36 screen porch ... it'd be almost unlivable outside of the master bath with a closet that was appropriated from the back half of the 1 car garage. Friend of mine in Boca - his house would sell for close to 700k today, and it's really nothing special. I think 2500sf, 4br, pretty basic - 2 car garage, with pool in a decent neighborhood. I was looking at lots out here you could buy a few years ago for under 80k, and they're 200+ now for a lot without any sitework done. Full of scrubby brush / trees - have to dig wells, septics, yada yada - you HAVE to build a 700k+ house out here, or its not worth it.

Him and another friend of mine are in network security, I install their networks. They're both director level at their company and our conversations often hit on how none of us could afford to buy our own houses today.

·
Registered
Custom
13,687 Posts
Hi guys
Can my contractor business refuse to serve a specific town because it has a high crime rate?
Bear in mind, when a customer from that town calls, I just say we dont serve that area. When they ask why, i just say “ because we dont”.
Why would you think you couldn't?

·
The Dude
2,388 Posts
You can refuse service to anyone for any reason so long as it doesn't run afoul of the civil rights act. Age, sex, race, etc - are not reasons you can deny service. "They were wearing a red shirt" or "they called between 8am and 5pm", or "I just didn't feel like it" are perfectly fine reasons.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Easy solution, take their address & phone # & tell them you'll set an appointment the next time you're in the area with available time. You can play the same game of calling for work with no intention of having work done. You can promise to give a quote, with no intention of ever getting there to give said quote.
Smoke and mirrors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 - 34 of 34 Posts