Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
Can my contractor business refuse to serve a specific town because it has a high crime rate?
Bear in mind, when a customer from that town calls, I just say we dont serve that area. When they ask why, i just say “ because we dont”.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Legally, yes.

Would it be good for your overall business? We can't tell you that.

·
General Contractor
8,083 Posts
You can refuse to work anywhere and for anyone... For the last 25 years, I have been working in a 10-mile radius, anything beyond that "out of my service area" unless I make an exception.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,333 Posts
You can refuse to work anywhere and for anyone... For the last 25 years, I have been working in a 10-mile radius, anything beyond that "out of my service area" unless I make an exception.
I don't work for anyone in the little town I live in. Mostly because the people here aren't as wealthy as the ones on the beach. But it doesn't matter why, it's just out of my service area.

You wouldn't be able to sue the communications company if they didn't give you internet. If your cell service is out in an area no one would think it's illegal. It's put of the service area.

·
Registered
Demolition
58 Posts
I don't work for anyone in the little town I live in. Mostly because the people here aren't as wealthy as the ones on the beach. But it doesn't matter why, it's just out of my service area.

You wouldn't be able to sue the communications company if they didn't give you internet. If your cell service is out in an area no one would think it's illegal. It's put of the service area.
Funny, everytime I've had to do a total demo in the more "hoodish" part of town, I've never had an issue. In the "nicer" parts of town, I've come in the mornings to find vandalism, graffiti, etc on the equipment.
Go figure.

Now, when it comes to scrap copper and aluminum, it don't matter where I'm at.

·
Registered
856 Posts
One small rural community we worked in was a hotbed for jobsite theft. Had our stuff broken in and stolen on several occasions. Once, they took every single thing in the job trailer; tools, nails, screws, cords, paint, caulk, etc. Only thing they left were the plans.

We got real cautious about working there; extra security measures, cameras, lighting, etc. and don't leave anything of value over night or over the weekend if you can avoid it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My website says i serve “ virtually every town “ in a specific county.
I just tell them its tough for us to do work in a specific urban area because of logistics. Its tough to get trucks in there and parkaing can be a problem..
” but we have a driveway you can park in”.. im sorry, we just dont serve that area.

the reason I ask is because there have been cases where people from urban area’s call for work with NO intention of getting any work done and record the call hoping to file a law suit saying a company is racist.

·
General Contractor
8,083 Posts

If a little town with homeowners mostly middle-class is located within the area I want to travel too I don't turn down work if I get what I charge... As a matter a fact when you give proposals in these towns, homeowners don't bargain and more likely they will respect your trade, they will sign a contract and give you the down payment in comparison to some of the towns where people are much better off.
With that said, a big role plays the demographic location, few towns around me are 85% of the homeowners of Indian Decent, most have no respect for the construction trade because in India construction trade are people just above the poverty so the majority will bargain and give the job to the lowest bidder and most prefer unlicensed trade and it doesn't matter if the homeowner has a house worth millions and drives a 120k car.
Perfect example my neighbor purchased a million-dollar house, has about 300k in cars parked up-front and he was crying the blues to the landscaper to replace a few trees. Go figure!!!

·
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder
1,074 Posts
Hi guys
Can my contractor business refuse to serve a specific town because it has a high crime rate?
Bear in mind, when a customer from that town calls, I just say we dont serve that area. When they ask why, i just say “ because we dont”.
Absolutely. And remember, many contractors miss being specific on where they like to be in the first place (as opposed to where they do not want to be). In this example, this client wanted to specific a good number of target areas. He became so busy that we placed these gentle notices that he is "currently not servicing the area, with a simple message why". And each detailed page has the same message. His phones and emails slowed down for these locations. And if business changes, we can always take away the messages. There is no perfect answer, but always ensure to be marketing to what you definitely want, and you can decide if you wish to include references towards what you do not want to do. But do not take business you really do not want otherwise it is you who lose. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
28,898 Posts
I can choose to work or not work anywhere or for anyone or not for anyone I want. It's my business

I dont do residential bids in Burnet as a rule, people are too cheap. I just tell them we don't build in Burnet or the office does when they call. You aren't obligated to explain yourself.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,786 Posts
I just tell them its tough for us to do work in a specific urban area because of logistics. Its tough to get trucks in there and parkaing can be a problem..
” but we have a driveway you can park in”.. im sorry, we just dont serve that area.

the reason I ask is because there have been cases where people from urban area’s call for work with NO intention of getting any work done and record the call hoping to file a law suit saying a company is racist.

Easy solution, take their address & phone # & tell them you'll set an appointment the next time you're in the area with available time. You can play the same game of calling for work with no intention of having work done. You can promise to give a quote, with no intention of ever getting there to give said quote.

·
Super Moderator
28,898 Posts

It would be exceptionally hard to sue for that unless you tossed our a racial slur or something- it would get tossed here, and I'd likely countersue for liable, which wouldnt be likely to get tossed even if i wouldnt win - so bring it on if you want to lose thousands of dollars to court costs and lawyer fees lol

·
Super Moderator
28,898 Posts
If a little town with homeowners mostly middle-class is located within the area I want to travel too I don't turn down work if I get what I charge... As a matter a fact when you give proposals in these towns, homeowners don't bargain and more likely they will respect your trade, they will sign a contract and give you the down payment in comparison to some of the towns where people are much better off.
With that said, a big role plays the demographic location, few towns around me are 85% of the homeowners of Indian Decent, most have no respect for the construction trade because in India construction trade are people just above the poverty so the majority will bargain and give the job to the lowest bidder and most prefer unlicensed trade and it doesn't matter if the homeowner has a house worth millions and drives a 120k car.
Perfect example my neighbor purchased a million-dollar house, has about 300k in cars parked up-front and he was crying the blues to the landscaper to replace a few trees. Go figure!!!
My granddad felt that way, I personally have more problems with budget on middle class homes, we are building 3 middle class houses from 480k - 625k and it's been a struggle dealing with their wants vs budgets. Back in the day it was 4 bedrooms with a fan/light kit, laminate everywhere but the kitchen counters, simple options, more basic. Now there are tons of options and the internet, people accept a 500k budget but wife really wants a 600k house too often, and the selections are a struggle. They want a bad ass shower and kitchen and high end look on beer budget.

I prefer working for wealthy people by and large, better budgets and usually dealing with business minded people. Husband may have a 1.2 budget but if wife wants 1.4 house that's what she gets, not spinning my wheels there.

Also, seems to me I get a lot more backlash on CO'S from people in the first bracket. Man that's crazy for a couple boxes and some wire, or why am is the price for this built I'm so high etc... one of the people we are building a house for is a retired cop, wife's a paralegal. He balks at the cost of every change order, why do I get charged by so much for putting on extra paint samples??

Well they are 10 bucks a piece plus 65.00 an hour for my guy. 65?? You pay him 65 an hour?? No, that's what I charge for him. Man, that's more than I have ever made!

Why I would ever give a single chit what thst dude makes I don't know, we don't work for free and how much you make or don't make isn't my concern or business. Read the contract, keep paint samples to a reasonable number, or pay up, or put them on yourself lol

Not going to catch that from rich people, often. A couple cheap asses trying to run with the big boys make it through but not often

·
Artist and not a curator
14,333 Posts
My granddad felt that way, I personally have more problems with budget on middle class homes, we are building 3 middle class houses from 480k - 625k and it's been a struggle dealing with their wants vs budgets. Back in the day it was 4 bedrooms with a fan/light kit, laminate everywhere but the kitchen counters, simple options, more basic. Now there are tons of options and the internet, people accept a 500k budget but wife really wants a 600k house too often, and the selections are a struggle. They want a bad ass shower and kitchen and high end look on beer budget.

I prefer working for wealthy people by and large, better budgets and usually dealing with business minded people. Husband may have a 1.2 budget but if wife wants 1.4 house that's what she gets, not spinning my wheels there.

Also, seems to me I get a lot more backlash on CO'S from people in the first bracket. Man that's crazy for a couple boxes and some wire, or why am is the price for this built I'm so high etc... one of the people we are building a house for is a retired cop, wife's a paralegal. He balks at the cost of every change order, why do I get charged by so much for putting on extra paint samples??

Well they are 10 bucks a piece plus 65.00 an hour for my guy. 65?? You pay him 65 an hour?? No, that's what I charge for him. Man, that's more than I have ever made!

Why I would ever give a single chit what thst dude makes I don't know, we don't work for free and how much you make or don't make isn't my concern or business. Read the contract, keep paint samples to a reasonable number, or pay up, or put them on yourself lol

Not going to catch that from rich people, often. A couple cheap asses trying to run with the big boys make it through but not often
The mediocre richies are really tough. When they see someone they hang with just spent 3 or 4 milly on a house and they want the same thing but are worth 10, it makes them try to get there for 1.5. I really try to stay away from those people. You can usually spot them. Did something for one of my clients friends recently. Bad decision.

I normally don't accept any new people but made an exception. Shoulda gone with my gut.

·
Super Moderator
28,898 Posts
The mediocre richies are really tough. When they see someone they hang with just spent 3 or 4 milly on a house and they want the same thing but are worth 10, it makes them try to get there for 1.5. I really try to stay away from those people. You can usually spot them. Did something for one of my clients friends recently. Bad decision.

I normally don't accept any new people but made an exception. Shoulda gone with my gut.
Yeah I let a few slip threw the cracks last year, and couldn't finish fast enough lol

·
General Contractor
8,083 Posts

Around here nowadays 690k + is a basic home around 2,800 SF in a middle-class neighborhood on a 50x100/150' lot, when you building a home in that price range there is a list of items that everything comes with the home and allowances on kitchen and flooring. If they want anything upgraded, all upgrades are paid up-front and it's very simple, you have it or you don't and you move on. Such homes are also built on the schedule... A customer has a certain time period to select an item they want to upgrade... If they cannot do this at this time or try to give you a hard time, per contract I can install the builder grade component specified on the list and keep the schedule. Also any delay in closing, etc. due to a customer fault, a charge of $150 per day until the closing takes place.
A home that size from the foundation stage to closing I can have it done in 6-8 months depending on weather, etc now probably longer with Covid, etc but since Covid hit I closed the shop until this blows over, brought an apartment in Florida been flying back and forth so I'm not sure how long it would take to build a home under current circumstances.
Don't give them any reason to complain 😅

·
Artist and not a curator
14,333 Posts
Around here nowadays 690k + is a basic home around 2,800 SF in a middle-class neighborhood on a 50x100/150' lot, when you building a home in that price range there is a list of items that everything comes with the home and allowances on kitchen and flooring. If they want anything upgraded, all upgrades are paid up-front and it's very simple, you have it or you don't and you move on. Such homes are also built on the schedule... A customer has a certain time period to select an item they want to upgrade... If they cannot do this at this time or try to give you a hard time, per contract I can install the builder grade component specified on the list and keep the schedule. Also any delay in closing, etc. due to a customer fault, a charge of $150 per day until the closing takes place.
A home that size from the foundation stage to closing I can have it done in 6-8 months depending on weather, etc now probably longer with Covid, etc but since Covid hit I closed the shop until this blows over, brought an apartment in Florida been flying back and forth so I'm not sure how long it would take to build a home under current circumstances.

Where'd you buy at? You're ocean side correct?

·
Super Moderator
28,898 Posts

About the same here, 2800- 3000 ft is 600- 700k plus the lot.

We give allowances and selections calander, I need to enforce a penalty like your saying for not making selections, messes the whole deal up Some clients no problems, they pick with in allowances but I get lots of people moving here who think it's cheap to build here and it's not, to them a 600k house is expensive to me, like you said your in median range. Gerkin, Milgard, Showcase windows, standard Kitchen Aide, 1% for lighting, 75 a sq ft for quartz etc.... and wifey wants Thermador, Anderson 400 or Marvin windows, 100 a sq ft counters, etc... and slows the process down and it's a struggle dealing with every time I turn around, much less the cost of a change order like I said.

As a carpenter I always found lower end work less appealing, but lots of good folks in that range

My point is I prefer to build for people who put budget second if it's available, I didn't enjoy the experiment into median custom homes. If I do more of them they will be on spec. Our Parade home is the other end of the spectrum, 7800 ft, lots of changes and additions and never asked what it costs or complained once, ever. That's not most people but lots of people in between I'd rather work for if possible

I will say it is different handing the keys to someone's dream home that cost 700k and they saved all their lives vs a 2.5 million (without the lot) second or third home. It's a cool feeling

On schedule it's slower but we've gotten better about ordering chit way too early. My brother is finishing a 4200 sq ft under roof, 2800 hvac, that will be 10 months, would of been 7 or 8 normally

If it's slow **** it I'll build a bird house lol

Reactions: greg24k
1 - 20 of 34 Posts