Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
client called
condo association wants to re-do the 4 separate restrooms by the pools , and other areas ( its a very big ocean front condo community. r buildings )

the walls , and floors have either 12x12 , and 16 x 16 , ceramic( i believe) tiles
they want to price out re-doing these bathrooms . they are up to code as far as handicap and what not

my client lives there , and is an investor, has some building experience.

he thinks it would be best to , instead of demoing all the walls , install either diamond-lathe , or durrock on existing , and tile on top of that.
basically , he`s thinking the tear-out would be allot of work , and thinks this might save a mess , and money

can i do this?
also , is there a tile adhesive that can be put right on these tiles , and install tile on tile ( i`ve us some incredible adhesives from "Sika"
i know i`d have to rough up the surfaces of the tiles .
is that a viable option?
or should i just go typical , and figure demoing everything .
client is not worried about the bathrooms shrinking in size from adding durrock , and new tile everywhere .
i` must not comfortable with this idea yet

the tiles on the walls are sound , they just want to upgrade , and modernize ( they look very 1980)

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
I have had this done on a new home, years ago. (don't ask)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks .
i guess its all in the prep , i`ll research it ,
as for the doors , if thats a problem i could always remove the tiles , and wall board there on the wall , so to keep the same wall plane.
thanks for that though , i`ll look at it .

just want to now there's a good product that i can guarantee.
this is right by the ocean . so a lot of salt air over the years

·
Registered
69 Posts
Too much trouble to save nickels.
Start fresh new substrate. Sell the added cost of demo labor as inclusive with a labor warranty.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
This idea just sounds like cluster f#ck waiting to happen, so now your going to warranty your work on top of others lets hope it has no hidden faults.

Bathroom pool side indoor shower ? going to extend the shower valve and what about the clearance for the toilet.

Sounds like your guy is a cheap f#ck or a dumb a## or both, this thinking to me just devalues the property my god would I be pissed if my HOA did this where I have a ocean front condo.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This idea just sounds like cluster f#ck waiting to happen, so now your going to warranty your work on top of others lets hope it has no hidden faults.

Bathroom pool side indoor shower ? going to extend the shower valve and what about the clearance for the toilet.

Sounds like your guy is a cheap f#ck or a dumb a## or both, this thinking to me just devalues the property my god would I be pissed if my HOA did this where I have a ocean front condo.
that's truly what i need to hear.

i get it
you right , on all the bathroom fixtures
and i`d have to put one of those off-set toilet flanges on too .i don`t think they last as long as traditional.

this is one of the nicest condo buildings on one of the islands too.
i truly know his thinking
it would be a tough demo , and toting trash about 200 yards to the dumpster or truck.it would be alot cleaner leaving it all in place , and start tiling .

but your right , either i have to set the same fixtures,and get extensions .
or break open the walls to change the inner pieces of new fixtures
i dont like making all the walls that much thicker myself.

and there is the warranty issue.

most likely my tile guy hasn't done any job like this.most haven`t

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
that's truly what i need to hear.

i get it
you right , on all the bathroom fixtures
and i`d have to put one of those off-set toilet flanges on too .i don`t think they last as long as traditional.

this is one of the nicest condo buildings on one of the islands too.
i truly know his thinking
it would be a tough demo , and toting trash about 200 yards to the dumpster or truck.it would be alot cleaner leaving it all in place , and start tiling .

but your right , either i have to set the same fixtures,and get extensions .
or break open the walls to change the inner pieces of new fixtures
i dont like making all the walls that much thicker myself.

and there is the warranty issue.

most likely my tile guy hasn't done any job like this.most haven`t
Maybe the trick is to charge at least 90% of the cost of a full reno...just for going over the tile...for the added benefit of limited disruption and speed. Maybe even more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts