Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've built a little table out of pine for my wife. I have a little bit of Varathane and Bona AmberSeal I'm wanting to use as the seal coat. Can I mix them? The Varathane is water based and the Bona is water bourne. The reason I want to mix them is I don't have enough AmberSeal to coat the whole thing and I don't want to go out tonight to get any more. I want to finish this thing tonight. I stained the table with an oil based stain and I'm going to finish coat it with Bona Mega (or Traffic, I dunno yet).

·
30 year novice
548 Posts
I would be wary of sealing with a water based product if it's been stained with oil, as for mixing them I really don't know what Bona amber seal is.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I've built a little table out of pine for my wife. I have a little bit of Varathane and Bona AmberSeal I'm wanting to use as the seal coat. Can I mix them? The Varathane is water based and the Bona is water bourne. The reason I want to mix them is I don't have enough AmberSeal to coat the whole thing and I don't want to go out tonight to get any more. I want to finish this thing tonight. I stained the table with an oil based stain and I'm going to finish coat it with Bona Mega (or Traffic, I dunno yet).
Just go buy what you need and do it right. :whistling

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I coat with waterbourne over oil all the time. Zero issues there.

Just go buy what you need and do it right. :whistling
If I wanted to do it right I would have just bought a damn table and been done with it :laughing:. Anyways...It's done. I mixed them and seems to be fine. Looks puurdy too :thumbsup:

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has any one ever coated a floor with it and not gotten an applicator mark?
I don't ever see that, but I rarely use it on a natural floor. It's like poly shading, but ya gotta move quicker! I love the stuff. It makes the water finish look more like oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts