Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a project around the house and I've run into a bit of a snag. I'm replacing an exterior light next to the garage mandoor(replace isn't really the right word, the light has been abandoned as long as I've been here(20+ years), all thats left is part of the fixture, a couple feet of wire and the box).

Normally I'd put in a octogon box for the fixture. However, the existing box is a 2x3. The siding on the exterior contains asbestos and I'd rather not disturb it if possible. I've checked the NEC fill charts and they indicate, at least to me, the existing box is big enough.The box is at the end of the run with a single 12-2 BX cable coming in.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
photos might help us come up with some ideas for you
Working on it.

Now that I've looked at the existing box closer, I'm going to replace it. The question is whether I put another 2x3 in and avoid cutting the siding or do I cut the siding and put a octogon in.

This is the remnants of the old fixture.

Attachments

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Is the 2x3 recessed into the siding? It looks like it. Since you are dealing with asbestos, why don't you pull that canopy (480 sparky terminology) bring the wire out of the 2x3 box (sparay foam the 2x3 box) install a wood or PVC block over the entire 2x3 box and caulk the bejesus out of it. Then surface mount an octagon box onto your block and install light.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the 2x3 recessed into the siding? It looks like it. Since you are dealing with asbestos, why don't you pull that canopy (480 sparky terminology) bring the wire out of the 2x3 box (sparay foam the 2x3 box) install a wood or PVC block over the entire 2x3 box and caulk the bejesus out of it. Then surface mount an octagon box onto your block and install light.
The siding behind the canopy is already broken. The siding is missing from just below the picture to the ground. The plan is to put new siding on but we haven't done that(we have the siding) because we've got to put new trim around the doors on both sides and don't know the width of that trim. Putting a block over the siding would trap the siding beneath it. The asbestos isn't really a hazard unless you break/cut/crush the siding.

I know I can get the siding off without breaking it. I may just pull the siding(about 2 half pieces). Put a 1x crossways across the space and flush mount a box in that. The 1x is so the light is outside the plane of the siding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.