Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The words no employee wants to hear , got it again today. I work for under market value, no benefits , bust my ass, and you don't even have to pick up a hammer ! Is it too much to ask for my check on every other Friday ? ? can't wait to take my sup test!! Sorry for the rant guys

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
I hear ya. Many years ago my boss asked me "How much $ do you need to get you through the week?". Umm...ALL of it. I let it slide the first time, but after the second time I was gone. I'm doing all the damn work and you want to not pay me my FULL amount on payday? F YOU :mad:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not getting paid on pay day as an employee
I started out with almost the same situation many years ago. I would get shorted, or not paid at all. I held out for 6 months and learned as much as I could. My boss was a great carpenter but horrible business man. I just looked at it as free training. Looking back I probably wasn't worth much anyways, right out of high school green as could be.
10 years later I own my own business and expanding .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup! Just getting the ducks in a row. 10 yrs experience , 8 yrs carpenter, 2 yrs with an electrical contractor . Getting unrestricted csl, and saving $ for a professional website. New house and baby this year, so I can't afford to do it half ass!! And when I have guys, im going to pay on pay day!

·
Theological Carpenter
78 Posts
The words no employee wants to hear , got it again today. I work for under market value, no benefits , bust my ass, and you don't even have to pick up a hammer ! Is it too much to ask for my check on every other Friday ? ? can't wait to take my sup test!! Sorry for the rant guys
It's the beginning of the end... Get out while you can. He's not going to get magically better at handling money!

·
Registered
204 Posts
That sucks. I agree get out. This guy is going nowhere. There are actually a lot of great companies out there.
If it comes down to it my brother and I don't take a dime unless the employee's are paid. You can bet the house that every friday their pay checks are waiting for them. The finances of the business are not their responsibility, nor are they in their control.

Tim

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had a similar situation with my former boss. For years during the slow season the three of us that worked year round would grab our checks and race to the bank to see who could cash their check first (if any of us). Whoever got to cash theirs then had to loan out money to the other two to get by until monday or wednesday when his check cleared. As long as it comes at some point when you're setting yourself up, it could be worse. If he gets more than a week behind though, I would be looking for work quick. Tax season is already starting and work is picking up quick

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
Back when I was starting out in the trades, I ran into this.

I worked all month the first month on one site. I was totally broke and my wife was doing her best to carry the load. Payday came around and the boss called us all together and offered us all a 50 dollar draw.:whistling

I told him to give it to someone else because 50 bucks won't do jack for me, but 100 might help someone else. I stuck around for about 6 months and then got my contractors license.

·
GC/carpenter
43,888 Posts
Even though I pay my guys well, a carpenters wages are tough to make ends meet as it is. To not pay them would be horrible. I can't understand this. Even if I had not a dime to my name there are ways to get cash, if your credit is good. This tells me he's not only broke, he's got bad credit as well. This is a good time to get you affairs in order so when you do bail it's on your terms and he doesn't hit you with a surprise.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I've been through that also. I worked for a guy that would pay us very slow to the point where I couldn't keep up with my bills.

The owner of the company had us doing a gov't gig that paid him every 45 days. He took pride in the fact that his company was operating "debt free" but he didn't consider the fact that he was indebted to his employees. :mad:

Essentially we were getting a month's worth of pay every 6 weeks so eventually I was in this cycle where every bill I was paying was in arrears. We were supposed to get paid every 2 weeks but he kept promising us that once he got enough money in the pipeline, he could keep paying us consistently. After 4 months, it was still the same crap.

One thing that I learned is that you, as an employee, cannot make sacrifices like that in hopes of helping the owner build his business. It's OK to work for a lower wage or to work without certain perks and benefits but you can't sacrifice your paycheck. It would be one thing if you were free to come and go whenever you wanted to.. thus giving you the ability to make income elsewhere. But if the employer is expecting you to be on the job every day at the same time for 8 hours, there's no way that you can survive on anything less than what you agreed to work for.

I think that many small business owners don't realize that the employees don't have the same stake in the business and thus should not be subject to the same sacrifices. If the owner can't make payroll, that's his problem. Not the employees' problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow all the horror stories from other guys. I've never not gotten it, but it's annoying when your depending on it. Formula and diapers ain't cheap!!

·
Joseph A. Capece
1,811 Posts
This is the reason I got my license and went on my own. Keep in mind that you may be chasing money in larger amounts and more often as a business owner than an employee. Going out on your own won't necessarily solve all of your problems-just be prepared.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts