Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
43,900 Posts
Two things to keep in mind, but not the only two things.

One if you ever hose out your garage what will keep water from getting under the bottom plate?

Two, you need to take in consideration the floor In your garage may not be flush with the room your expanding, because there quite possibly is some fall to your garage floor.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,486 Posts
Fine. I'll give some advice.

Guys,

I'm about to remodel the room that connects to my garage. We will be bumping the interior room out approx. 3 feet. We haven't yet cut open the sheetrock to confirm if this is wall is load bearing or not... BUT, we think it's non load bearing. I have several questions about the feasibility of framing the new wall:

Make sure you figure this out properly. If you can't, get an engineer to look at it for you. It also might be a shear wall.

Question #1:
Can I frame the new wall directly onto my concrete slab?

Usually, yes. If it's not load bearing.

If so, should I cut an expansion join along the new wall?

Not sure why you'd do that.

Also, any problem if I decide to build a small masonry wall on top of the slab to match my current foundation?

Not sure why you'd do that, either. it's simpler to build a short wall, like 9 or 10 inches, or whatever, and this way you can level it out. The garage floor is no doubt sloped. Then you can wrap it with plywood to stabilize it.

Question #2:
Should I be cutting the slab "open", digging/pouring a new footing and then framing the new wall on the new foundation wall?

Again, probably not. If this wall is going to pick up load from the existing bearing wall, then most probably, yes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
The only way that wouldn't be a load bearing wall is if it were a single story house with trusses running parallel to that wall and the trusses are able to span from the front to the back of the house correct?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,217 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.