Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Construction Managment Student at BYU
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
In Georgia...and perhaps a big portion of the rural communities....code enforcement and permitting are not mandated because the local gov doesn't have the personnel or the revenue to pay for the personnel.

IN those area...including Georgia....the state legislature enacted the language that covers rural as well as urban construction work.

Contractor or homeowner are required to build any structure to meet and/or exceed minimum building code requirements.

Having said that....residential zoned property usually doesn't have a condition for non-dwellings with the exception of "accessory structure" which is your key phrase to go on the drawings.

The accessory will be nothing but a shed or a shack....using your own artistic whims. The drawings will have to state Not Habitable as it goes in permit file that goes into the property record.

If the community has to be able to review the intention at a planning commission hearing....they only need to know it's a Not Habitable Accessory Structure. As a former multi-term chair of our planning commission in my county as well as member of zoning appeals....you'll be best served to NOT indicate artwork on any of your drawings or should be required to apply for land use or special use hearing.

Most people that come these hearings are not interested in artwork....only as to how what you plan to do may affect their home, home/location appeal or valuation up....or down (people will * about property values going up because they have to pay more in property tax. Even if they make a $ton on a resale of their own property....they dislike property taxes and CHANGE. If you have 20 people that attend to comment....if you have one that is all yours as an advocate to what you have in mind, they're likely to fold under the duress of 19 property owners that are there to argue against your project.

Again....do NOT offer to discuss "structural art work or architectural art"....just present the minimum drawing to obtain a permit for a shack.....or tool shed. Take out the permit because many of the IRC code enforcement officials are making any improvement to any residential property in excess of $500 the trigger to permit the work. IF you piss off a neighbor....once you go before your magistrate judge to defend yourself, you'll wind up buying the permit and still get whacked for a fine and court fee.

People are vindictive to anything that affects them. The planning commission or zoning board are NOT electeds....they're neighbor volunteers and most of them would do anything just to appease those in opposition.

Just keep it all simple and keep it official and you'll get what you want. Just 2d elevations and floor layout; a minimal site plan and just keep it business like....anything out of the usual can get "reviewed.." You don't to be reviewed.

thank you so much! This is super helpful!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Maybe I'm reading this wrong. You need a permit for any dwelling 200sf or bigger. You want to build a cabin off-grid that is bigger than 200sf. Your AHJ doesn't issue permits for structures off-grid. If they don't issue permits for off-grid, then does it matter what you build or how big it is? Or does the fact that they don't issue permits for off-grid mean you can't build off-grid unless it's "artwork"?
the city requires all dwellings to be connected to the grid, so they won't permit unless you connect to power and water which is unrealistic and would cost upwards of $100k. The only structures that don't require permits are sheds/ accessory buildings under 200 sq ft, so theoretically, I could build a cabin under 200 sq ft on the land without connecting to power and water, and instead do a solar and water collection system. however, 200 sq ft is smaller that I would like.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Second time I've heard that, a structure being called art. A group of architecture students built this for about 100k without permits in the middle of nowhere in Valentine West Texas. Pretty cool in person. No one knew about it from the state until TxDot got a call about a huge playboy bunny (40ft) erected near there. That was 8 years before txdot knew about the Prade building... sharp SOBs right there 😆 They didn't fine the building but they took the bunny down

The Prada building was to be left alone to deteriorate and become part of its surroundings, that idea seems to be abandoned though because it looked fine when I saw it on spring break this year

As to your little cabin, yeah thats gonna be a no dawg. Lol. They will require permits, fees and taxes
View attachment 512631
initially thats what the AHJ said here, then it was spelled out in the town zoning code so everyone understood. The moment it becomes occupied artwork is out of the window.

This guy is near me, not sure about his status. Weird house, I have toured through it
Luna Parc , his site is down today but this is what it looks like

I actually know the answer, at least here in NJ. Yes, but....you cannot enter the structure, has to be within setbacks, has to be secured to the ground, can only be in the same spot for 6 months, no power, no water. Guy here builds cool looking 200-300 sf "play houses" from log slabs. Someone must buy them because after the 6 months they are gone. The smaller ones under 200 sf are not an issue.

His really are artwork.
that's awesome! Thank you!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You may call it artwork, but the AHJ is going to call it a structure.

That's why many tiny houses wind up being built on trailers.

You could always build 2 halves of a dog trot if the roofs aren't connected.
Super helpful! thank you! Are walls allowed to be connected as long as roofs don't touch? I drew it up in Revit to show what I mean.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
initially thats what the AHJ said here, then it was spelled out in the town zoning code so everyone understood. The moment it becomes occupied artwork is out of the window.

This guy is near me, not sure about his status. Weird house, I have toured through it
Luna Parc , his site is down today but this is what it looks like

/
could it be referred to as a "movie set" as long as it wasn't lived in? I was finishing on documenting it anyway, and using it to make tutorial videos!

·
Registered
8,616 Posts

·
Registered
Remodel
29,522 Posts
This is all about the ins and outs of the zoning ordinances where you intend to build this. We can only tell you what is generally allowable and not allowable in some areas.

Could you actually have an enclosed corridor from one structure to the next? If it folds like how Pullman cars were connected, probably.

·
Artist and not a curator
12,869 Posts
These guys are all lying to you as well as your school.

If you call it art you can do anything you want. If they get upset, identify yourself as Native American and tell them it's a Teepee. In fact deman they pay you for gracing them with your artwork.

Let us know how it goes. These guys are all full of rules and things but you can just identify them as wrong and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
660 Posts
These guys are all lying to you as well as your school.

If you call it art you can do anything you want. If they get upset, identify yourself as Native American and tell them it's a Teepee. In fact deman they pay you for gracing them with your artwork.

Let us know how it goes. These guys are all full of rules and things but you can just identify them as wrong and you'll be fine.
You werent supposed to reveal that secret. Next are you going to show the secret handshake?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts