Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Can I bend PVC conduit with wires inside?

8K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Dooi 
#1 ·
I have a conduit right in the way of a drain I have to install, it's already wired and everything is installed.

Can I safely hit it with a heat gun to bend it a few inches out of the way?

#5 ·
Can I safely hit it with a heat gun to bend it a few inches out of the way?
I hope so, I just did the same thing a couple weeks ago.
Same deal, was the electric line running out to the pool. Homeowner assured me the line wouldn't interfere with that corner post hole, I was sceptical so we hand dug that one. 18" down found the line running smack dab through the center of the hole lol.
Dug back either side a couple feet, heated it up a bit, and nicely bent it about 3" just out of the way of the post.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#7 ·
PVC bends at 170 to 220. THHN usually has a limit of 194 (90C). So you need to keep the temps on the lower range so you don't damage the insulation.

#8 ·
I'd be too afraid to destroy the conduit. Heating and bending PVC is usually done with a bending spring inside the conduit to prevent it from deforming. Even if you successfully bend without destroying conduit, you might want to meg out the wires before and after to verify you didn't melt the insulation. If you must do it this way, have a hose or bucket of water on hand to cool it down soon as you finish the bend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.