Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

i am currently doing a commercial storefront job and the owner had a question for me that i had no idea how to answer he currently has a furnace unit but it only handels the heat and he wanted to know what his options were for cooling and i wasnt sure if you would be able to add a cooling unit a compresror to the existing furnace to supply cold air through the existing ducts, and what other options does he have besides a standard air condtioner

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
The answer is yes, a coil set can normally be added either above or below the furnace, with the furnace air handling system moving the air for the combined unit. A compressor will ahve to be added outside if the system is to be a split system, which seems likely.

I am not an HVAC guy, but have been around many commercial sites, and my father was President of the MCA.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Have an HVAC company look at the existing unit, they can give you a real answer. From this side of the monitor, the answer is, maybe yes, maybe no. Sometimes A/C can be added to an existing system, Sometimes it requires a new furnace, sometimes it requires other modifications.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts