Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping the experts here can give me some advice. Bought a house a couple of years ago with a 5 year old roof, still in good condition. It doesn't have a
ridge vent and I'd like to add one.

Is this a project for a reasonably good do-it-yourselfer?

From what I've read it seems like I can cut through my existing shingles (composition) through to my plywood and nail in the vent. Is there something I'm missing ??

Thanks for any comments, suggestions or advice. I've learned alot on this forum.

Rick G.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
This project CAN be accomplished by a DIY'er.

Why do you want a ridge vent? Do you have other forms of ventilation?

There's not much you are missing as far as the installation goes... but before you decide to install ridge vent you should determine if it is right for you. Never mix ventilation systems. Also make sure you have equal or greater intake ventilation.

Attic ventilation is a science and not a matter of personal prefrence. Ridge vent is not right for every home. www.airvent.com www.rollvent.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Follow-up

Grumpy said:
This project CAN be accomplished by a DIY'er.

Why do you want a ridge vent? Do you have other forms of ventilation?

There's not much you are missing as far as the installation goes... but before you decide to install ridge vent you should determine if it is right for you. Never mix ventilation systems. Also make sure you have equal or greater intake ventilation.

Attic ventilation is a science and not a matter of personal prefrence. Ridge vent is not right for every home. www.airvent.com www.rollvent.com
Grumpy --- thanks for the reply. I do have adequate intake venting under my eaves and soffits but there's only a small electric fan on the side of the roof. It's nowhere large enough to do the job. I'm just a little nervous about cutting through my roof! lol

Rick

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
If you do install the ridge vent. you MUST remove the fan.

Is your ridge long enough for adequate exhaust?

Since you already have the fan and the electric in place, your best bet would be to install a larger fan. A typical medium duty house fan is about 1100 CFM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Understood ..

Thanks again. The fan is mounted on the side wall of the attic so it's
about 2 ft below the actual ridge line so it's not 'getting' the hottest air.

To install the vent, I'm thinking I'm using my circular saw (after measuring the appropriate width & length along the ridge) and cutting straight through my shingles first, then through the plywood -- making sure I'm at the correct depth so I'm not hitting any of the rafters. If I do that though, I'll have a little bit of shingle along the edge of the ridge line on each side --- do I simply leave those as is ?

Rick

Grumpy said:
If you do install the ridge vent. you MUST remove the fan.

Is your ridge long enough for adequate exhaust?

Since you already have the fan and the electric in place, your best bet would be to install a larger fan. A typical medium duty house fan is about 1100 CFM.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Remove the cap shingle. I usually don't set my cut line, but I suggest you snap a chalk line of your cutting path. You may have to fasten some more nails in thr very top row of shingle syoua re going to cut into. Set the saw for about 1" depth. Don't worry too much if nick the rafters. At 1" you wouldn't nick more than 1/8" ( I think). Start cutting. Install your ridge vent with a few fasteners, and install your new ridge shingles with AT LEAST 1 1/2" nails. Longer is better in this case.

Last, and probably most important. Cover over the opening for your attic fan from the inside.

Good luck. Be safe. If you die don't sue me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I won't sue you ...

.. if anything goes wrong and I die: but I have given your name
and a copy of your messages to my wife along with a good
attorney's name! lol

Again, thank you very much. I'm not tacking this until it warms
up but if I remember, I'll send you an update with how it went.

Rick

Grumpy said:
Remove the cap shingle. I usually don't set my cut line, but I suggest you snap a chalk line of your cutting path. You may have to fasten some more nails in thr very top row of shingle syoua re going to cut into. Set the saw for about 1" depth. Don't worry too much if nick the rafters. At 1" you wouldn't nick more than 1/8" ( I think). Start cutting. Install your ridge vent with a few fasteners, and install your new ridge shingles with AT LEAST 1 1/2" nails. Longer is better in this case.

Last, and probably most important. Cover over the opening for your attic fan from the inside.

Good luck. Be safe. If you die don't sue me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts