Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Warren

Thanks for the reply.

I'm in a dilemna. I was under the impression that the blown-in insulation job I was expecting done at my clients was to be foam, and the contractors told me they needed all construction completed before they came in to do their job. Well, they are cellulose insulators. They don't do roofs. This ceiling requires foam for code and I already have it plastered. My client has been calling around for a foam insulator and they are saying to her that they do it with the rafter channels open. Well, I sure as heck don't want to have to reopen them and then have the plasterers back. The rafter channels are about seven feet in length and they are all open at the bottom so I'm hoping that some foam contractor can do it via this way.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neolitic

In this case, where the rafters make up the ceiling framing to this new room, the specs are for foam throughout. Ventilation is not needed here.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I'm sensing that you have
a cathedral ceiling here?
Don't make us guess too many
details, or we'll get bored.
ADD and all....

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I was still typing while you were posting.
Yes, you need a really competent foam
installer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Correctly

I turned a three season porch off of a Cape house and in between the garage into a dining room.

I completely removed the front and back walls, rebuilt with 2 x 6's and sistered 2 x 10's to the existing 2 x 6 rafters. This all after I added two lvl's underneath the undersized ridge beam.

I haven't sided the two walls yet with clapboard and done all facia work so the rafter channels are open from the outside, as I figured this is how the foam is installed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Competent because this is a tricky way of doing it? Because the chance fior air pockets are now greater during install?

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Competent because this is a tricky way of doing it? Because the chance fior air pockets are now greater during install?
Because the "normal" installation
would have been before you plastered.
They will have to really know
what they are doing to fill without
over filling.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Sounds like it might be possible then,
but I wouldn't be wasting any time.
I'd be looking for an installer who thinks it is. :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts