Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a 1000 sq foot deck project, and I'm comparing prices for the exotic woods, and the premium composites.
For example, the TT XLM is about $3.75 lin ft, and garapa is about $2.15.
I have very little experience working with the hardwoods, but this project calls for lots of picture framing, and precise miters.
Cedar or PT would be a peice of cake, but I really don't know about working with the really dense wood.

Can anyone make some recomendations for good dealers? Also, tips and tricks for installation?
Which of the various woods is the best bang for the buck?

I'm figuring that I'll use a mix of SS screws(with plugs) and hidden fasteners such as Ipe Clip extreme
www advantagelumber.com/ipeclip

Here are the two dealers I have looked at so far:

advantagelumber.com
abswood.com

They will deliver for about $500.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,842 Posts
While I'm not a fan of those clip systems for hardwoods I have used the extreme ipe clips. I've done a couple using them this year, so far so good. With 1x6 decking & especially on close to the ground decks use glue too if using clips. Don't buy the grooved boards, buy a biscuit cutter instead & use it to install clips.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ditto for Sequoia; you can also look up Bill's Hardwoods in Fleetwood...

PS, we're gonna need pictures of this project!
~Matt

I just spoke to Bill at Fleetwood Lumber. He is getting me pricing on Ipe and Garapa.

I have a 20' trailer, so that will save me the cost of shipping it from some far off state.

Thanks for the heads-up.

-Brett

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
stacey devanuto
Fleetwood lumber is cheaper than Sequoia Supply for Ipe.

Bill said he can get it in less than a week, and I can specify all 18 footers. Most places just provide random lengths.

Bill seems to think the hidden fasteners, such as Ipe clip, are not as good as just face screwing with stainless steel. I'm leaning towards using stainless screws and plugs.

Here is another method: abswood.com/pages/tool_smartbit.htm

I'm still working on a pattern for the decking.

Here is one of my concepts which mix Ipe and Garapa. I would use a sealer to maintain the color.

DeckPattern.jpg

Is this too complicated to do with the exotic hardwoods? Should I just simplify the design?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, this is more accurate.

Its three levels with a spa on the lowest level. Three courses of picture framing and all the centers on a 45 degree diagnal.

deckpattern2.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what deck program you using?

It's Visio 2007.

Its fine for getting the concept down on "paper". I could not really do the mitered corners very well, so I just overlapped the lumber.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Nothing is too complacated to do with S American lumber it is some very stable stuff,tight bond 111 works very well with it and generaly its a dream to work with. There is a slight learning curve.

One thing be very sure you provide cross ventalation under your projcet. This is Very important and vastley overlooked.

For a high end outdoor area like that I am thinking screw and plug. J.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is a current picture of the main deck structure in process. The joists still need to be cut to final length, and all the blocking, rim joist and angles cut.

The lower deck for the spa has yet to be started, but you can see the four 20" diameter concrete piers eagerly awaiting the 5000 lb spa. It will be 12 x 12 with 2x10 12" OC and three triple 2 x 10 beams. Yes, it way over build, but the building inspector likes it that way, and the extra lumber is very little compared to the total project.

I'd say the ventalation should be fine, but it is a northern exposure, with very little sunlight near the house, so it won't be very dry under the deck.

The current plan is to install landscape fabric, and about 18 tons of river rock as a finishing touch. That might not happen till spring, depending on the the weather here in PA.

Nothing quite like having a big deck.:thumbsup:

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also, the local Spa dealer is Burch Spas. Its a one man operation, and he really knows his stuff. No bull*****, just honest value.

Here is the web site: http://www.burchspas.com/

His name is Pat Burch. Tell him Brett referred you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats a big ass cantaliver, I am thinking you just havent snaped lines yet. J.
Exactly !! It was way to windy to do that type of work today. I stayed on the ground.

I'll square up to the house and start lobbing off the joists in a few days. I'm working alone on this one, so its not progressing quickly.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts