Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PS.... OOPS.... this should have been posted in EXCAVATION & SITE WORK, sorry.
===================

A client has a shallow ditch along their road frontage. Instead of a culvert, she says there's drain tile buried within 2-3 inches of the surface. I haven't seen it yet myself. She says its that thick very heavy duty black plastic stuff, maybe 12" or so in diameter and was put in around 10 years ago.

Anyway, apparently a tree fell when the ground was gumbo mud, and the damn thing landed just right... or rather wrong. It seems a broken limb skewered the pipe, punching a large hole right through the stuff. She wants me to arrange for the repair.

Is there a way to patch the hole, instead of excavating enough area to replace the damaged section?

Thanks in advance
LetItBeLEED

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
If you do anything, you could be responsible for anything in the future.If it close to the roadway, it could be on public property.

If you are interested in the LEED concept, do it right and replace it with a proper material. No matter how heavy and thick was and what the diameter is, it should survive a few tree branches and should be replace.

When you get around to seeing the site, make an assement of whether it is deep enough.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Dick, should kids patch their bike tire or just get a new tube each time it goes flat? You would probably answer "patch it", since you know that is possible, works well, is cheaper than getting a new one, and is environmentally friendly. But if one does not know these things, is it better to ask or just make assumptions?

Thanks for your reply. We replaced 4 ft. Seems to me the pipe is too shallow, but alternative would be prohibitively expensive, so with that in mind the depth is perfect just like it is.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
We see these all the time around here, when new construction goes in and the inspector takes a bribe to not notice the illegal activity going on. We get drain pipe and culverts thrown in that sink within a year and create massive drops in the road surface or the tops of the pipes show thru within a year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts