Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Nope. I didn't make any claims. So it's not up to me to prove anything.
Yes you did.
you gonna challenge - YOU provide the evidence.

Oh wait - you misplaced your code book - my bad.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
See - 210.21 Outlet Devices.
- - (B) Receptacles.
- - - (3) Receptacle Ratings. Where connected to a branch circuit supplying two or more receptacles or outlets, receptacle ratings shall conform to the values listed in Table 210.21(B)(3), or where larger than 50 amperes, the receptacle rating shall not be less than the branch-circuit rating.
- - - - Table 210.21(B)(3) Receptacle Ratings for Various Size Circuits (Jerry's note: This states 15 amp receptacle on a 15 amp circuit or a 15 amp receptacle on a 20 amp circuit, *but not* a 20 amp receptacle on a 15 amp circuit.)

That is supposed to be a link to an image of the table of permitted ratings v CB amps.

And to think I was confused about pass through vs. face plate ampacity......

·
Electrical Contractor
244 Posts
I agree with 4th gen--- Table 210.21(B)(3) is clear that a 15 amp circuit cannot be connected to a 20 amp circuit.

I also would not recommend a multiwire branch circuit anymore in a residence with afci requirements and now with gfci requirements for dishwashers.

If you run a multiwire branch circuit for a disposal and dishwasher you would have to install a gfci in a readily accessible location for the dishwasher.

·
Electrical Contractor
244 Posts
They made a code that you can't put a panel box within 3 feet of a window because some stupid person reached in a window and killed himself off because he reached into the open panel.

That's a stupid code.
I assume that is a local code because it is not an NEC code

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Not installing separate circuits and dedicated outlet fixtures, (every duplex outlet providing an outlet for low Ampere low use appliances)

is silly. As inverters and variable frequency digital drives become evermore common and "pollute" the their circuits with harmful voltage spikes/noise.

The code is a GUIDE for MINIMUM qualities and amounts, any structure that isn't a flop house or pre- engineered metal building should exceed them in a rational market place. IMHO:blink:

Yugos were legal, but would you let your only daughter drive/own one?:jester:

·
Registered
12,047 Posts
Not installing separate circuits and dedicated outlet fixtures, (every duplex outlet providing an outlet for low Ampere low use appliances)

is silly. As inverters and variable frequency digital drives become evermore common and "pollute" the their circuits with harmful voltage spikes/noise.

The code is a GUIDE for MINIMUM qualities and amounts, any structure that isn't a flop house or pre- engineered metal building should exceed them in a rational market place. IMHO:blink:

Yugos were legal, but would you let your only daughter drive/own one?:jester:
The manufacturers installation instructions are the guiding documents. The NEC states you have to install per manufactures instructions. Most "permanently" installed require a separate circuit.

On the Yugo question--sure why not. By now I would have taken care of any issues.

Tom

·
Electrical Contractor
244 Posts
Some appliance mfg. recommend a separate circuit so that does not require a separate circuit. I do agree that most of them do state separate circuit.

·
Registered
12,047 Posts
Some appliance mfg. recommend a separate circuit so that does not require a separate circuit. I do agree that most of them do state separate circuit.
I'm having a hard time understanding your response.

Separate circuit or not if the manufacture installation documents state separate circuit?

Tom

·
Electrical Contractor
244 Posts
I am saying that if the mfg company recommends a separate cirxuit then that is not the same as the mfg company requiring a separate circuit.

One is a requirement and the other is a recommendation and as such we do not have to follow it.

·
Registered
12,047 Posts
I am saying that if the mfg company recommends a separate cirxuit then that is not the same as the mfg company requiring a separate circuit.

One is a requirement and the other is a recommendation and as such we do not have to follow it.
Okay. Don't recall ever seeing one that "recommended" a separate circuit. If they mention it at all it's been in the "electrical requirement" section.

I will pay closer attention on the next few installs.

Tom

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Anyways job was completed last week 5 devices (outlets) 4 home runs other than pulling the 200+ foot of NMB.....piece of cake.....no garbage grinder...no DW....homeowner wanted neither

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
45,539 Posts
I don't have either of those. My dishwasher cleans the house, cooks me dinner, makes my lunch and does the laundry.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I don't have either of those. My dishwasher cleans the house, cooks me dinner, makes my lunch and does the laundry.
I thought she only packed you lunch on Fridays?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
45,539 Posts
Friday is Tuna day. Thursday is chicken salad day. Mon-Wed is deli day.

She loves me all week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Appliances that consume half the ampacity of the circuit must be dedicated. If a diswasher uses 10.01 amps on a 20 amp circuit it must be a dedicated circuit. Likewise with disposals. Most are close enough to warrant wiring a dedicated circuit. Allowance for future appliance upgrade should be considered as well. I?ve never heard about the window rule for panels but considering the fact that most windows have a sill if the pane is three feet away then the sill is less which violates nec requiring panels to have 3 feet of clearance at minimum. More in some cases. I?m in the US so Canadian, European, etc. codes may vary on this I do not know.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts